Chapter 10

Chapter 10-Oct 10, 2013 Thursday Afternoon

       My chair sat beside the couch; so I could lean on the couch arm. Rebekka sat on the couch, flipping through channels. “Just pick something already!” I groaned as I covered my eyes with my arm.

       “Ok…” Ring! Ring! “I’ll get the door. You can pick,” she told, passing me the remote before rushing off.

       I decided on the Disney movie, Pirates of the Caribbean. Luckily, it was still near the beginning; so I snatched a pillow from the couch and got comfortable.

       Bekka walked back into the room and I said, “Isn’t he super cute?”

       “Like me?” asked James as he stepped in behind my sister.

       “James!” I exclaimed as I sat up straight, staring into his eyes. “What you doing here?”

       “You weren’t answering my texts; so I came over to check on you,” he told as he looked over me from my bandaged head to my cast legs.

       “So…sweet…” I mumbled as I twiddled my thumbs. “Bekka, could you leave us alone?”

       “Okay, sis,” she said as she glanced between James and me before going upstairs.

       “Have a seat please,” I told as I patted the couch beside me.

       “Don’t mind if I do,” he said with a smile, settling down on the couch. I moved my wheelchair slowly, so I could face him. “So are you okay?”

       “Okay as a girl can be after a car wreck,” I sighed as I tried to look anywhere but at him. “How you been?”

       “Good, but we are talking about you; so when are you coming back to school?” he asked as he scooted to the edge of the couch.

       “I guess Monday…” I answered as I saw him reached for my hands; so I pushed forward, knocking my wheelchair against his legs. “Sorry.”

       “It’s okay…” He grabbed my hands and stared into my eyes. “So how long are you going to be in…” waved at my chair, “that?” he inquired quickly.

       “Forever,” I told as I yanked my hands away before pulling on the wheels; so I went back a couple feet.

       “O…that’s not that long…” he muttered as he stood, towering over me.

       “Um it’s forever…” I commented, looking at him strangely. “The doctor said I would NEVER walk again!” I exclaimed as I crossed my arms.

       “That’s okay. I still love you,” he told as he knelt; so he could look into my eyes. “You wanna go on a date with me tomorrow?”

       “Sure…Where and when?” I asked as I watched him.

       “I was thinking of taking you to a movie after school…” he replied as he grabbed my right hand.

       “Why don’t I meet you there?” I suggested as he stood.

       “I don’t have a problem picking you up,” he commented confused.

       “My wheelchair won’t fit in your mustang…” I mentioned quickly as I followed him toward the door.

       He swooped me out of my wheelchair and hugged me close to his chest. “Like I said, ‘I don’t have a problem picking you up,’” he repeated before kissing me. He carefully set me back down, a smile across both of our faces. “I’ll get you at five.”

       “Okay…” I muttered as I watched him leave.