Chapter 19

Chapter 19-Oct 15, 2013 Tuesday Night

       “Have a good class, Sweetie,” my mom told as she helped me out of the car.

       “You’re not coming in?” I asked, looking at her hopefully.

       “You are eighteen. I think you can do this by yourself, though I will get the door for you,” she replied as she pulled the door open.

       “Thanks…” I mumbled as I rolled into the lobby. Automatically I felt wrong. My dobok was destroyed in the accident and my belt was covered in blood; then there was my wheelchair, it was so out of place. I glided over to the desk and asked, “Where is Instructor Wang?”

       “In the back…Would you like me to get him?” the staff lady replied and I nodded; so she hurried off.

       I glanced around, spotting a couple kids running to the bathroom. None looked at me, which gladdened me a little. I didn’t want to really answer questioned about what happened.

       “He’ll be out in a moment,” the staff lady told as she returned to her spot behind the desk. “Are you here to sign up?”

       “I’m already signed up,” I replied quickly before rolling over to the waiting benches. ‘New staff,’ I thought as I stared at my hands.

       Students started to file in for six o’clock class and he was still in the back. Did he want me to take class with everyone else? I would hinder their learning. They didn’t deserve to have me a partner.

       Finally I heard the back door creak open, a minute before class. Instructor Wang walked out and cupped his hands around his mouth as he bellowed, “Line up!”

       I pushed hard on the wheels to get it on the mat, wary of people’s toes. I lived up at the head and got a couple looks, but no one fought me for the spot.

       Instructor Wang pointed to the boy beside me, who quickly hurried to line everyone up. He ignored me till he had to put me in a spot; then I only caught a glimpse of his green eyes watching me. He went to the front and began to stretch, while I did what I could and skipping over the leg ones.

       Instructor Wang walked onto the mat and automatically everyone was looking at him. He put a hand on the boy’s shoulder as he introduced, “This is Assistant Instructor Robins from our sister school. He has just transferred here in hope of broading his skills. “Please welcome him as you do any other student.” Instructor Wang glanced at me and I turned my gaze to my legs again. He hurried around the mat, pairing people to do self-defense together; then lastly he reached me, when no one was left. “Instructor Robins,” he called as he turned to the brown-haired boy.

       “Yes sir,” the boy said as he ran up to my Instructor’s side.

       “I want you two to go through the first level self-defense. When you get to a kicking one, call me, “Instructor Wang ordered as Assistant Instructor Robins stared at me with a gaping mouth. “No problems, right?”

       “Yes sir,” Assistant Instructor Robins muttered; so Instructor Wang nodded to me before going to attend to the rest of the class.

       “I’m glad that you’re here,” I mentioned as I punched at his stomach, which he easily blocked and countered.

       “I didn’t ask for this…” he muttered as he punched at me; so I could take my turn.

       “To take care of a freak, huh?” I asked, giving him a look; while I punched up into his stomach, making him bend over. His face and mine were now level with each other. “I didn’t ask for this either…” I snapped before he straightened up and I held out my hand. “I’m Assistant Instructor Johnson by the way…but off the floor, they call me Sam.”

       “Kind of a boy name…” he commented as he did an uppercut, which I easily blocked. “I go by Brian.”

              “Well, it’s a pleasure to meet you, Brian. You wanna go get Instructor Wang?” I inquired as we reached a kicking one.

       “Um sure…” he muttered before walking away.