Gatekeeper/Waterway

(A/N: Some time ago, I was writing a story... and then I hated the story. So, I deleted it. But, I still love the characters, so I brought assets of them here.)

Let's call the big boy Kieran (pr: keer-en). He's good at stuff but doesn't admit it unless others do. He got caught in a storm or a state of delirium - maybe both; haven't chosen - and ended up crashed there.

I'm not sure who she is. She could be the (literally) god-sent, kindhearted, part-time warrior/full-time Prophet named Ximena (he-MEH-nah), or she could be the stone cold, professionally martial, full-time warrior/private blood mage Xiomara (pr: SEE-oh-ma-rah). Mei and Mara are BFFLs if it wasn't already obviously cliché, but I think I'm leaning toward her being the latter lady. (Kimara was a private ship that never got to sail, so...)

Most or all of the men, boys, and/or masculine-at-the-moment souls are off on a rite of passage/traditional summit called the Sama Andra, so the place has mad Themyscira vibes when Kieran arrives. Mei and Mara are part of a line/group/tribe of souls with a history of ancestors getting X-shaped slashes on their bodies for punishment, thus they and their parents have X-names. (The M's are a coincidence.)

Not sure if it's an unmapped island. Not sure if it's another world/universe. Maybe it mirrors Wakanda in style and cloaking. Maybe it's more natural a la Tinkerbell and Pixie Hollow. Either way or anyway, we're "thinking with portals".

Mara's a tsundere that's lowkey mad at kind of liking Kieran and higher-key mad that Mei has a more-than-friendly lady-friend. She's not mad at the GF, specifically, especially not because she's a woman; she's just mad Mei having someone at all. Mei doesn't know.

Mara rarely practices magic (except when necessary for war, disasters, etc. under a guise) because it'll ruin her reputation more if she does it publicly.

Mei found out about the gods directly talking to/controlling her when she starts speaking to a foreign, non-human adversary in their previously unknown and obscure native tongue out of nowhere. They're always talking; she sometimes outbursts when she can't take it. Mara had a similar revelation, except hers ended badly. We don't talk about it, but her high rank is partially out of fear even though she's physically capable.

Kieran tries not to intrude on anything, but he can't help but be curious and accidentally do something out of line. He is very helpful when he can be, especially when the guys return, to not be a moocher.

The tinies know/figure out how Kieran got there - they're aware of humans and their culture - and how he'll need to get back, but when that'll be able to happen is unknown. It's based on cosmic alignments and whatnot.

Kieran comes across Xiomara in one of her daily bloodletting sessions - blood mage thing to do as a replacement for magic because doing neither will literally kill her - successfully convincing her that her powers aren't a curse. She's the first and only blood mage in several generations for a reason.

Mara finds herself using her magic to make Kieran's stay more livable. Before, she didn't use her magic to rid them all of him because she thought she'd be out of the gods' favors, but now she's consistently keeping herself from not just sending him home.

 Before, she didn't use her magic to rid them all of him because she thought she'd be out of the gods' favors, but now she's consistently keeping herself from not just sending him home

(A/N: an HDR edit for the funsies)