Chapter 18

I got the last book that I need for my math class. I shut my locker closed and walked down the hallway. I entered my math class and sat on my usual seat. I remember that Keith also takes this class and he usually sits on the seat beside me. I looked at his chair but there was no one there.

Carter didn't go to school today. He told me that he took care of some important things last night and felt sick in the morning. I decided that I will visit him after school to see how he's doing.

What could have been those important things that he had to take care of?

Many of my classmates already arrived, but there was still no signs of Keith. I flipped through the pages of my Math book and studied some lessons. Call me a nerd but I really do love Math. Despite what other people say, I really think that it's a wonderful subject. Maybe because it's easy for me.

I looked at the door and saw Keith entered. He had his earphones on, not minding anyone. He didn't even bother looking at me. He sat on a seat that is far from where I was seating. I mentally sighed on the fact that Keith hasn't been the same since that night.

He has been ignoring me and it's been bothering me. I wonder why it does though. Why can't I get Keith off my mind?

Chris, think of happy thoughts.

Since that night from the beach, a lot of things changed. That ordeal with Keith is the reason of them all. I can't look Mandy straight in the eyes due to the guilt that's been consuming me. I don't know what she would say if she finds out what Keith did. I lost my best friend once and I don't want to lose her again. What complicates it more is that Keith is the reason again.

I want to talk to someone about it, but first I want to talk to Keith. I want Keith to clear things up first before I say anything to anyone.

I've been forcing myself to shut up about it but I really want to talk to one of my friends. Of course, Mandy is out of the picture. I want Keith to explain it to her because that would make her understand more.

Then there's Red. I really think that she knows something's up. She's been asking me if everything's okay and I keep lying to her. I know that I promised that I won't lie to my best friends but this time I really have too.

Even to my boyfriend, I can't talk about it. Of course I don't want to tell him that Keith kissed me, he'd flip out. He might even get into a fight with Keith and I don't want that to happen.

I've never lied to Carter about anything at all. But, this doesn't count as lying right? I mean, I'm just keeping something from him but I'm not lying.

I mentally sighed again.

Then there's that guy from seven-eleven. What was his name? Brad I think. He knew Keith and somehow he knew me through Keith. He also said something about me getting into trouble again.

The only time I remember getting into a serious trouble was on the summer a year ago.

"Yes mom I got everything you asked. I'm on my way home." I hung up the phone and sighed. My mother can be quite annoying sometimes. She asked me to get her some things from the grocery store. I couldn't refuse since she told me that I'd be grounded if I did.

Some mother I know, but I love her.

I made my way to the the parking lot where a lot of cars were parked. There seems to be no one around and it was somehow scary. I looked for my car and found it. I was walking towards my car when I was stopped halfway by a loud screeching of car tires. I glanced at the direction where the sound was coming from and I froze when I saw a car speeding off towards me. I wanted to move aside to save myself from getting hit by the car but I just couldn't.