Chapter 21

Lying here on the grass with earphones plugged in my ears gives me peace. Carter still hasn't come back from his vacation with his family. I know I should be happy for him since this is all he ever wanted, for his family to give him the attention he deserves, but I still feel a little mad and jealous at him. I probably just long to be with someone who truly cares about me.

So I'm out here in our school yard trying to find solitude. It's only been a day since Keith Carlton broke my heart for the second time. I know I say it like it's Keith's fault but it really isn't. Those two times are both my fault. Yes, Keith has the right to be with a girl and of course it could be with my best friend. I only overreacted and I brought the depression upon me. The second time was still my fault, for actually thinking that Keith could have kissed me out of love. I should have been more faithful to Carter and that's actually what I would just do. I'm going to give all my love to Carter and him alone.

It's our last period and our teacher decided that poems are better written with a peaceful and calm surrounding, so here we are. Everyone's busy with their work while I lie here.

I looked up to to the sky and studied the clouds. I saw a cloud that looked like a vase with a flower in it. I saw another which looked lie a bear chasing a lion.

I'm not sure, I guess I'm just really imaginative.

My observation of the clouds was interrupted by a tap on my head. I sat up to see where it came from and surprised to see a familiar face.

Mark.

"Hi Chris--"

"Stay away from me!" I blurted out.

My voice boomed out across the entire area that made everyone focus their attention to us. Mark shifted uneasily and moved closer to me.

"Hey Chris, just listen. I'm here to apologize, I swear! I'm not here to cause any more trouble." He pleaded.

I studied his expression throughout his supposed pre-apology speech and I saw in his face that he really is telling the truth. His apologetic smile glimmered as he blinks his eyes uncomfortably.

I kept quiet and just looked him in the eyes. Everyone lost interest of what was happening between Mark and I so they continued doing what they were doing.

"Okay then. I guess you're not going to say anything." He said. "Chris, I just want you know that I really like you and I know that that is not enough justification for what I did to you. But I want you to know that I regret doing every bit of what I did. You don't deserve to be treated in the way that I treated you. I forced you to do something you didn't want to do. I forced you.. I.. forced you. Please forgive me Chris, please forgive me.." He kneeled down to grab my hands and he buried his face on them.

I pulled back my hands and pulled Mark up.

"Hey Mark it's alright. I forgive you. We've all done things we regret and that's okay. But you have to promise that you won't do anything like that." I told him.

A smile immediately formed on his face. "Yeah yeah I promise! Oh thank you Chris thank you!" He exclaimed and he pulled me into hug.
I hugged him back and pulled away after a few seconds.

-----------------------------

"So what's that?" I pointed at the pile of paper he's holding in his hand. Mark invited me to get some ice cream. At first I hesitated because I was afraid he might pull a trick again, but he promised that he's not going to do anything funny. I gave in and decided to give him another chance. And besides, who can say no to free ice cream?

We went back to the school yard to finish our ice cream.

"Oh this? It's nothing." He blushed awkwardly which made me snicker a little.