Chapter 18

Echopaw wandered through the tunnels once more, searching for the cat that called herself Spiritshade. She decided to follow her stale scent back to the river she had found. She enjoyed the calming sound of rushing water. As she sat down on the water's edge, she heard paw steps echoing somewhere above her. She decided it was nothing.

         As she stared at the dark swirling liquid below her. It looked familiar, yet different than the last time she had seen the river.

A dream...

She remembered the other dream she had.. when blood had engulfed her body, chocked her.

"Echopaw!" Turtlepaw's voice echoed.

Turtlepaw had gotten used to Echopaw spending all of her time at the Shinestones. However, Turtlepaw didn't know about the tunnels. Also, Echopaw had heard some elders call it a cave. She made her way back to the way she had entered this "cave".

As she approached the opening under the beautiful stones she saw something unexpected. Turtlepaw was there, and had watched her every movement.

Great. Now she knows about the cave.

But there was a strange cat standing next to Turtlepaw. "U-um.. Hi-i.."

"Um.. Echopaw.. this is Oakpaw.." Turtlepaw said cautiously.

Echopaw watched as Oakpaw bowed her head in a greeting.

As they went back to camp, Echopaw's sister and Oakpaw both agreed to ignore the fact that they had seen where she was going. When they reached camp however, Oakpaw asked to talk to Echopaw privately.

"Echopaw.. can you take me to that place you were in? I need to talk to you..."

Oakpaw followed the other apprentice into this thing she called a cave.
So.. you know the cat called Hopestar?" She questioned, turning to face Echopaw.

"Well.. Sort of..."