Chapter 3

Echokit watched as her sister received her apprentice name. "Your mentor will be Silvershine." Turtlepaw stepped toward her mentor and touched noses with her. She missed the rest...

Shine... What a pretty name...

She noticed others calling out her sister's name, and she chanted along with them. "Turtlepaw! Turtlepaw! Turtlepaw!" We said for the second time.

"Echokit, you have reached the age of six moons and it is time for you to be apprenticed." Once again, she heard disapproving murmurs within the clan. "From this day on, until you receive your warrior name, you will be known as Echopaw. Your mentor will be Frostpelt. I hope Frostpelt will pass down all she knows to you."

Echopaw was still so exited as others chanted, "Echopaw! Echopaw! Echopaw!" Cresentstar continued. "Frostpelt, you are ready to take on an apprentice. You have received excellent training from Windstripe, and as my deputy you've shown yourself to be brave, loyal, and strong. You will mentor Echopaw." She continues " I expect you to pass on everything you know to Echopaw."
She finished, and she touched noses with Frostpelt. "Echopaw! Echopaw! Echopaw!" Her eyes shined.

"Turtlepaw! Echopaw! Let's show you the territory tomorrow!" Silvershine said, catching up to them with Frostpelt as they congratulated each other. "Sure!" both apprentices said in chorus. As Silvershine and Frostpelt padded away, Echopaw and Turtlepaw joined each other for their vigil.

Sitting there quietly, she remembered the look that Cresentstar gave her sister. Cresentstar looked mystified, but she also filled her gaze with hope and worry. Echopaw was only looked at as any normal apprentice would be. That's when a thought hit her.

Is Turtlepaw special?