Chapter 4

Turtlepaw opened her eyes, feeling the sun on her back. It's been two moons since they'd been apprenticed and Echopaw has been acting strange around Turtlepaw. To her dismay, Echopaw was better than her at all of the apprentice jobs. But still, the clan didn't seem to like her very much because of her black fur that no other forest cat had. It was strange, She has blue spots on her ears tail and muzzle, too. Because Echopaw has been so lonely, she spends her free time hunting and sunning at the ShineStones. The ShineStones were a pile of smooth, clear, and shiny rocks just before the FireClan border, where usually elders go to relax.

Later, Turlepaw decided to go find her sister and see what was so enjoyable up at the ShineStones. About half way there though, Turtlepaw started freaking out. FireClan was the strongest in the forest, and she started getting scared for her sister.

As she approached the glimmering ShineStones, her sister was laying there with her head up high, reaching for the sunlight. She heard a few bushes rustle but Echopaw didn't even flinch. A small FireClan patrol stepped out with two apprentices and one mentor. The tom apprentice was orange with red eyes, and had muscles rippling under his pelt already. The other apprentice was a plain gold she-cat with amber eyes. The mentor was a grey tom with green eyes.  Echopaw only so much as moved her head to face them. When Echopaw blinked, the mentor growled at her and said, " Get off our territory!"