13

Jake drove quickly to the hospital and he barely came to a stop in the parking lot before jumping out of the truck. We all rushed inside and I sat with Rylee while Gina and Jake talked to a nurse. Soon, Jake came and sat down beside us.

"He's in the burn unit getting treated for severe burns." Jake said softly.

"Is he going to be okay?" I asked.

"They don't know yet." Jake said before breaking down and crying into my shoulder.

I held him tightly and let him cry it out.

A few hours later.......

"Why don't you guys go back home? I'll call you when I know something." Gina said softly.

"You sure Mom?" Jake asked.

"Yes Jake. Rylee and I will stay here and we'll update you when we know something. You need to rest a little." She said and smiled softly.

"Okay. We'll head to the ranch and we'll feed the animals." Jake said and we stood up.

We both gave Gina a hug before heading to the truck. When we got in the truck, Jake hit the steering wheel with his hand.

"Why did it have to be him?" He cried.

"He's gonna be okay Jake. He's strong." I said and rubbed his forearm.

"Will you drive home? I'm in no condition to drive." Jake said softly.

"Of course." I said and we switched seats.

I drove us to the ranch and we started to feed the cows and the horses. When we finished feeding, Jake made us some Mac and cheese and we ate quietly.

"I love you, Meredith." He said softly

"I love you too, Jake." I said and smiled.

We cuddled on the couch for two hours until Gina called.

"Jake, we're able to see him. Honey, he's in a coma and he's burnt really really bad." Gina said in tears.

"We'll come back to the hospital." Jake said and hung up.

I drove back to the hospital and we met Gina and Rylee in the waiting room.

"Jake, I'll take you to his room. Mere, will you stay with Rylee? I don't want her to see her father this way." Gina said.

"I'll stay with her." I said and gave Gina a soft smile.

I sat down beside Rylee and she touched my forearm.

"Is my dad going to be okay?" She asked.

"I hope so sweetie." I said and squeezed her hand gently.

When Gina and Jake came back, they were both crying. I hugged them both and kissed Jake's cheek.

"Will you guys take Rylee home? I'm gonna get a room here." Gina said.

"Yes. Call us if there's any news." Jake said and hugged his mom.

I hugged Gina before we walked out of the hospital and got into the truck. I drove us home and we got Rylee settled into bed before going to Jake's room. Jake held me tightly and cried for 30 minutes straight.

"Meredith." He said softly.

"Yes baby." I said and kissed his cheek.

"I want to have sex with you." Jake said and looked at me lustfully.

"Jake, we promised we'd wait. Plus, I feel like you just want it as a distraction." I said softly.

"I know, Mere." He said and looked down.

"I love you, Baby." I said and kissed his forehead.

"I love you too, honey." Jake said and smiled.

We woke up the next morning and Jake cooked breakfast for the three of us. Gina called and said that there still isn't a change with Jim. After breakfast, Jake went to check cows while I watched tv with Rylee.

"Will you and Jake have a baby?" She asked me.

"Maybe someday. It'll have to be after we get married." I answered and smiled.

Rylee and I talked until Jake came back in.

"Mom called and said that Dad just woke up." He announced happily.

I ran and jumped into his arms. Jake spun my around and kissed my cheek.

"Let's go to the hospital." He said and we all went out to his truck.

Jake drove to the hospital and we all went in to see Jim. He looks rough but at least he's alive. Jim has to stay in the hospital for a month before he can go home. At 7 pm, we left the hospital because visiting hours were over. Jake dropped Gina and Rylee off at the house before taking me out to a little diner for supper. I held his hand across the table while we waited for our food. We ate our hamburgers in silence, and Jake smiled at me softly.

"Do you want to go to Omaha tomorrow?" He asked.

"Of course I do!!!" I said and smiled.

"Is it okay if Mom and Rylee come?" He asked.

"Yea that's fine." I said and smiled.

"That's good. I figured he'd get their minds off of Dad." Jake said softly.

The next day, we left for Omaha at 10 am. When we got there, we stopped at Famous Dave's for lunch. I ate way too many ribs and Jake laughed at me for having bbq sauce all over my face. After we ate, we headed to the mall. Jake and I went into Victoria's secret while Gina and Rylee went to a bookstore.

"This bra would look good on you." Jake said and held up a black lace bralette.

"It shows too much." I said and looked at a pair of leggings.

"Cmon Mere. I'll buy it for you." He said and smiled.

"I'll try it on to make you happy." I said and grabbed my size.

Jake followed me to the dressing rooms, but I went in alone. I slipped on the bralette. It's cute, but it's not my style. I opened the door slightly, and pulled Jake into the room. He stared at me with wide eyes.

"Damn." He muttered.

"This is the only time you will see me in anything like this." I said and covered my chest.

"Please Mere. I want to buy it for you. It's sexy." Jake said and gave me puppy dog eyes.

"Okay." I said before pushing Jake back out of the room.

I took the bralette off and put my clothes back on. I walked out of the dressing room and looked at some shirts. I picked up two different colored v-necks that are 2 for $20. Jake and I then go up to pay. He pays for the bralette while I pay for my shirts.

We went to a few more stores before meeting Rylee and Gina back at the truck. The whole way back to Guide Rock, Jake held my hand while he drove. When we got back to the house, Gina took Rylee to the hospital to see Jim. Jake and I went down to his room and took his shirt off.

"Hey babe. You should model that bra for me." He said and winked.

I took my Victoria's secret bag into his bathroom and put my bralette on. I do have to admit, I look kind of sexy. I put my hair up in a tight bun(Jake's favorite hair style in me) and sexily walked out of the bathroom. Jake's jaw dropped as I walked towards him.

"You are gorgeous." Jake said as I sat down on his bed beside him.

Jake ran his right hand a long the bralette but I quickly moved his hand.

"You can look but you can't touch." I teased.

"Meredith." He groaned and looked down at his boner.

"Jake, you and I both know that we can't do this." I said and smiled.

"I know. You look gorgeous though baby." Jake said and pulled me into his lap.

I cuddled into his side and we fell asleep.

The next day, we went to the hospital and said goodbye to everyone. After we left the hospital, Jake and I headed back to the good old state of Wyoming.