5

Jake's been working for Dad for a month now. We've went out a few times but we aren't officially dating. The more I hang out with him, the more I start to like him.

"Hey Mere." Jake said from the doorway of the feed room.

"Hey. You scared me." I said and smiled softly.

"What's on the agenda for today?" He asked.

"Well, the farrier is coming in an hour so you could probably bring each horse out for him." I said.

"What are you doing today?" He asked.

"I don't know yet. I think I'm gonna go fix fence, after I feed the horses." I said and winked.

Jake helped me feed the horses and afterwards, I headed to the house to change. I took off my button-up shirt and slipped on a racer-back tank top.
I left the house and went to the garage. I put all my fence supplies onto the four wheeler and I drove to the start of the fence. I drove along the edge looking for anything that needed to be fixed. I had to restaple some barbed wire back into place but other than that, everything looked okay. I drove back up to the garage and parked the four wheeler right as Dad came out of the house.

"Hey Dad." I greeted as I shut the four wheeler off.

"Hey sweetheart. Thanks for having Jake help out with the farrier. It was good to have extra help." Dad said and smiled.

"No problem. I checked all the fence around the pond and such." I said and wiped some sweat off of my forehead.

"Do you and Jake want to run into the feed store for me and pick up my order?" Dad asked.

"Of course! Where's he at?" I asked.

"I believe he's in his house." Dad said and walked to the barn.

I went to the guest house and knocked on the door.

"Coming." Jake hollered.

Soon, the door opened to reveal a shirtless Jake with water rolling down his pecks and stomach.

"Hey Mere. Sorry I just got out of the shower." Jake apologized.

"It's okay. I should be the one apologizing for bothering you." I said and smiled softly.

"Come on in while I throw a shirt on." He said and stepped inside.

I followed him in and closed his door. Jake stepped into the bathroom and wiped his torso off with a towel. I watched as he walked into the bedroom and came back out with a bright yellow BigIron Auction t-shirt.

"So What brings you here?" Jake asked as he sat down on the couch to pull his boots on.

"Dad wants you and I to go into the feed store to pick up his order." I said and sat down beside him.

"You sure you aren't just using that as an excuse to hang out with me?" He asked.

"You can go by yourself if you want." I teased.

"No" Jake said quickly and I chuckled.

Before I knew what was happening, Jake's soft lips were on mine.

I gently pushed him away.

"This is wrong." I said and looked it to his eyes.

"But it feels so right." Jake said and kissed me again.

This time I didn't pull away. Jake and I made out and it felt like the best thing in the world. All too soon, he pulled away.

"We need to talk about what this mean." He said softly and touched my hand.

"What does it mean?" I asked.

"It means that I like you." Jake said and looked down nervously.

"I like you too, Jake." I said and lifted his chin up to look at me.

"Will you be my girlfriend?" Jake asked.

"Yes I will." I said and smiled.

We ran into town and got dad's feed order. When we came back, Dad looked at us suspiciously.

"Did I miss something?" Dad asked.

"Yes." Jake said and smiled happily.

"What'd I miss, Jake." He asked.

"Your beautiful daughter is now my girlfriend." Jake said and put his muscular arm around me.

"Mere, I need to speak with you alone." Dad said and I followed him to the house.

"Mere, you can't date the hired hand." He scolded.

"But Dad, he's the sweetest guy I've ever met." I protested.

"Mere, he's two years older than you." Dad said.

"So what? I really like him. He already treats me well." I said softly.

"Ok, but you two can't start slacking because of working with each other or there will be consequences." Dad said sternly.

"Yes Dad." I said.