1

Dad and I tossed square bales off the trailer and I huffed and puffed. My arms and this mid-June heat is killing me.

"Mere bear, lets take a break." Dad said and jumped off the trailer.

I tossed one more bale before jumping off the trailer and walking into the break room in the barn. As I reached the door, I heard someone pull into the driveway.

"Dad, are you expecting anyone?" I asked.

"Yes I am. Mere, that's our new hired hand." Dad said.

"Our what?" I asked.

"You heard me, Mere." Dad said.

"Ugh." I groaned.

"Go greet him and show him to the guest house." Dad said.

I walked to the silver Chevy pick up right as a talk, muscular guy in blue jeans, a button-up shirt, and a Stetson stepped out.

"Howdy, who are you?" He asked.

"I'm Meredith, you're coworker." I said

"Well I'm Jake. I've never been coworkers with a beautiful lady like yourself." He flirted

"I'm the boss's daughter so stop the flirting hot-shot." I sassed.

"Well damn." Jake muttered as he got his bags out of the back of his truck.

"I have to show you to the guest house." I said softly.

I walked down the path past the house to the tiny guest house. I opened the door and Jake followed me in. He put his bags in the bedroom and looked at me with lust.

"How old are you?" He asked timidly.

"I just turned 18. What about you?" I asked.

"I'm 20." Jake answered and flashed me a smile.

"You're too old for me." I teased.

"Oh cmon." He flirted.

"We need to set some ground rules. No flirting with me, no trying to get into my pants, you can't think of me as anything other than a friend, and you can't distract me from my work." I said and Jake looked at me with wide eyes.

"Yes ma'am." He said and touched my arm.

"Let's go to the house. It's time for lunch." I said and walked out of the guest house.

Jake followed me like a puppy to the house. I walked in and Dad was setting hamburgers out on plates.

"Just in time. How are you Jake?" He asked.

"Pretty good sir. And you didn't have to put me in a super nice house. I would've been fine sleeping in a horse stall." Jake chuckled.

"Nonsense. Get yourself a plate, and we'll talk over lunch." Dad said.

Jake and I grabbed our plates and I added Mac and cheese to the edge of mine. I felt Jake's hand graze my arm and I glared at him. We sat at the table across from each other and ate quietly.