2

Dad made me show Jake around the ranch and it was pure torture. The guy won't stop flirting with me even though I'm clearly not interested.

"Do you have something against me?" Jake asked as we rode two horses out to check cows.

"No. I'm just used to it just being my dad and I. It's weird having someone else around that I feel like I need to complete with." I confessed.

"Darling, you don't need to compete with me. It's not like I'm stealing your job." He chuckled.

"You don't know that. Dad's always thought that I should do more girly things. I think he brought you in to start to replace me." I said softly.

"Well darling, we won't let that happen will we?" He asked and touched my forearm.

"What's gonna keep him from replacing me with you?" I asked.

"Sweetheart, you're his daughter. There's no way in hell he can replace you. Plus I saw you slinging them bales earlier. I have to admit it was kinda sexy." Jake said and bit his lip.

"If we are gonna get along, you can't say things like that." I said offendedly.

"I'm sorry darlin." He said and flashed his teeth that were as white snow.

"Race ya to the barn." I said and took off on my horse.

I beat Jake to the barn and we cooled down the horses before putting them in their stalls and giving them they're afternoon food.

"Can I ask you something?" Jake asked.

"Go ahead." I said

"Do you have a boyfriend?" Jake asked.

"Nope. I'm a single Pringle." I chuckled.

"Can we go out sometime?" He asked.

"We'll see." I answered and winked at him.

"Meredith, I need to talk to you." Dad yelled from the office in the barn.

"Coming." I yelled back and walked to the office.

I opened the door and sat in the seat facing Dad.

"What do you think about Jake?" He asked.

"He's very respectful and from what I can tell, he's pretty hard working. I think he'll fit in great with us." I said and smiled.

"If any of that ever changes, tell me." Dad said.

"Yes sir." I said softly.

"Why don't you and Jake take the rest of the night off and go into town and have some fun. You two need it." Dad said and smiled.

"Thanks, Dad." I said and hugged him before leaving the office.

I found Jake outside a horse stall, stroking the grey face of my old mare.

"My Dad gave us the rest of the night off." I said softly.

"What are we gonna do Ms. Jones?" Jake asked.

"Well, I do know of a party that's going on. Got any swimming trunks?" I asked.

"Yes ma'am I do." Jake said and smiled.

"Go put them on and meet me in the house." I instructed and we went our separate ways.

This will be a fun night.