Hospital Times

Cheryl's POV -

“Noooooooooo!” Liam’s agonizing yell filled the air. He turned around and ran off the roof, the rest of us following closely behind.

“This is all my fault. Louis Tomlinson what have you done?” Louis muttered, hurrying to catch up with Liam.

When I reached the backyard where Ruby had landed, fear choked me until I could barely breathe. On the bright side, Ruby had landed on the trampoline so most of the blow of the fall was eased. But…her head had bumped onto the edge of the trampoline, and now she was lying in Liam’s arms limply.

“Ruby, please babe, stay awake.” Liam shook her gently, but she only let out a moan and stayed unconscious. “Love—” His voice cracked and his eyes filled with tear as he looked at us pleadingly. “Help me!”

“I’m sorry, mate.” Louis said sincerely, checking Ruby's pulse. “I really didn’t mean to. I’m sure she’ll be alright though, it’s only a little bump on the head, no big deal.”

“No big deal?” Liam shrieked, losing it. “She’s pregnant! It is a big deal!”

“Li, calm down.” Iris stepped forward and lay a comforting hand on Liam’s shoulder. “My older sister also bumped her head when she was pregnant, so I know for sure she’ll be alright. We just need to get her to the hospital as soon as possible, so doctors can check her up.”

“I’m on it.” Harry started dialing on his phone efficiently.

“Good. Just lie Ruby down until the paramedics come.” Iris ordered, and Liam lay her back down on the trampoline, sniffing loudly.

“She’ll be fine, Liam. She’s a strong girl.” Zayn said firmly, giving Liam a hug. “Don’t start yelling at Louis because it was just an accident.”

“Yeah.” Louis agreed. “Don’t yell at me.”

Liam didn’t seem to register what they said. His gaze was frozen on Ruby's still face as he stroked her cheek absentmindedly. “Stay safe, OK?” He whispered. “You have to make it through, for us and the baby. I love you.”

Meanwhile, Lily was whispering to me. “Why is it practically every time I’m with you guys, an accident happens?”

“Believe me, I’ve been asking myself the same question for a few months.” (I keep thinking of Harry Potter when I write this, why?)

The group of us stood around awkwardly for a few minutes before the ambulance came. We kept shooting helpless looks at Ruby, wanting to help, but having no idea how to do so. The paramedics put Ruby on a stretcher and carried her into the ambulance.

“One person can go with her.” They said, and Liam jumped onto the ambulance without hesitation. They drove off, taking the ringing sirens with them until there was only silence in the backyard.

“Oh man, I’m such a fool.” Louis said in a flat voice, and all heads turned towards him. “I am. I always seem to be stirring up trouble wherever I go. And I’m always making Liam mad. He must be sick of me. I’m such a failure.”

“And this was supposed to be your big day! Ironic.” Lily added loudly, but a glare from me hushed her up.

“Don’t blame yourself, Lou.” Peyton comforted him. “Accidents happen, and—well, they always seem to be caused by you. But I’m sure Liam won’t stay mad at you. You’re his best friend, he’ll come around somehow.”

“But in the meantime, can we go eat?” Niall suggested.

“You actually want to eat when Ruby is in mortal danger?” Lily asked, a hand on her heart as she looked at Niall. “What kind of friend are you?”