Hold On

Cheryl's POV -

The next thing I knew, I was lying on a stretcher in an ambulance, with five terrified boys around me. My eyes flickered open and I coughed feebly, attracting their attention.

“Are you alright?” They asked immediately.

“I’ve been better.” I replied, closing my eyes again. I still felt exhausted. After a few seconds, I could feel someone shaking my shoulder.

“What?” I asked. It was Harry.

“Don’t go to sleep.” He said. “Just now you stopped breathing.”

“Oh.” I said, looking at five nervous pairs of eyes around me. “Um, what happened?”

“You dived down but you didn’t come back up for a long time.” Liam told me gently. “We got worried, so we went down to look for you. We think you lost conscious. You coughed up a lot of water but didn’t wake up, so we just called an ambulance.”

“Oh.” I repeated. “I don’t want to go to the hospital, I’m fine.” I sat up quickly, but felt very dizzy.

“You aren’t going anywhere until you get checked up in the hospital.” Louis said, pushing me back down.

In a few minutes, we were at the hospital. The people there checked me up, and decided I was fine. To be on the safe side though, I still had to stay in the hospital for the night. After they finished checking me up, I lay down on the uncomfortable hospital bed and immediately dropped into slumber.

After about a few hours, I opened my eyes. The boys were sitting on those plastic blue hospital chairs around my bed. Their faces lit up when they saw me awake.

“Hey.” I said softly. My throat hurt when I talked.

“You feeling better?” Niall asked, his bright blue eyes wide open with concern.

“Yeah. Thanks for saving me.” I said, sitting up. “I don’t know why I suddenly couldn’t breathe in the water, it was really scary.”

“It’s my fault. I’m sorry for daring you to do it.” Harry apologized.

“You never would’ve known anyway, don’t blame yourself.” I smiled at him, patting him on the shoulder. “By the way, does anyone have water?”

Liam quickly asked the nurse for some and I sipped some gratefully.

“Oh! I have a question!” I said suddenly, looking up from my water. “Who was crying at the beach? I could hear someone crying, that’s why I started breathing again.”

“No one was crying.” Zayn said, getting red in the face while the others said,

“Zayn.”

I laughed a little bit, then became serious.

“Thanks though. Hearing someone crying about me made me rethink if I really wanted to die there just like that.”

Zayn came over and gave me a hug.

“I’m glad you started breathing again. We couldn’t bear to lose you.”

“Me too.” I said.

“You’d better get some more sleep.” Liam said, “We’ll camp here tonight.”

“What?” I asked, “You don’t need to, I’ll be fine on my own!”

“Too late, we already brought sleeping bags and stuff.” Said Louis, smiling cheekily.

“You guys are completely bonkers!” I said, laughing, before closing my eyes.