A Town Called Mercy Pt. 4

It's getting close to high noon. The Doctor is out on the street with {Y/N} next to him. The townsfolk have gathered together to pray.

"Help me. Help me to keep..." inside the Marshal's office, Amy and Jex hear the whoosh of the Gunslinger dimension-shifting towards town. The clock strikes 12 as he steps across the barrier and walks towards the two Time Lords, the three stand there waiting. When it finishes striking, the Gunslinger raises his weapon. {Y/N} brandishes her sonic screwdriver, disrupting the Gunslinger's systems and ruining his aim. Several windows break as the Doctor and {Y/N} run away.

---

"Ready?" Amy asks looking at Jex, she unlocks the cell.

---

"Ready?" Rory asks, he and Walter have replicas of Jex's identifying mark on their faces. So, do several other men. They run, confusing the Gunslinger.

"Disengage. It's a trick."

---

The Gunslinger stomps past the chapel.

"Save us, O Lord" a little girl gets up and knocks over some hymnals. The Gunslinger hears it and blasts his way in. The people start screaming.

---

Jex hesitates at the sound.

"Go! Just go! We can't save them while you're here" {Y/N} says, the Gunslinger looks into the little girl's eyes, and leaves the Chapel. Jex runs out of town and back to his little spaceship.

"Deactivate automatic targeting. Switch to manual" he locates the Doctor and {Y/N} hiding around the corner of a building. The two have also got the Jex mark.

"Right" the Doctor quickly gets up.

"Where is he?"

"He's gone" {Y/N} says.

"Where? Answer me."

"Away from here. Look up. Any second now you'll see the vapour trail of his ship. This is their home, not the backdrop for your revenge. Lookup, go after him, take this battle away from..."

"Kahler-Tech."

"Jex. Coward. Where are you?"

"I'm in my ship."

"Jex, what're you doing? Just go!" the Doctor shouts.

"Where are you from? Where on Kahler?"

"Now? You're asking him this now?" {Y/N} asks.

"Gabrian."

"I know it. It's beautiful there. When this is over, will you go back?"

"How can I? I'm a monster now."

"So am I."

"Just go! Finish this!" the Doctor shouts.

"I'll find you. If I have to tear this universe apart, I will find you."

"I don't doubt that. You'll chase me to another planet and another race will be caught in the cross-fire."

"Face me! Face me!"

"No. You've killed enough. I'm ending the war for you, too."

"Resumed."

"What's going on?" {Y/N} asks.

"Ten."

"The countdown. What's going on? Jex!" the Doctor shouts.

"Thank you, Doctor, and {Y/N}. I have to face the souls of those I've wronged."

"Five."

"Perhaps they will be kind."

"Three, two, one, zero" Jex's spaceship explodes, the black smoke rises above the rooftops. The Gunslinger bows his head.

"He behaved with honour at the end. Maybe more than me."

"We could take you back to your world. You could help with the reconstruction" {Y/N} says.

"I will walk into the desert and self-destruct. I'm a creature of war. I have no role to play during peace."

"Except maybe to protect it" {Y/N} shrugs. Later, the Doctor runs out of the Marshal's Office. The TARDIS is parked in the middle of the street.

"Ok, so, our next trip. Oh! You know all the monkeys and dogs they sent into space in the fifties and sixties?" the Doctor asks.

"You will never guess what really happened to them" {Y/N} says.

"Could we leave it a while? Our friends are going to start noticing that we're aging faster than them" Amy says.

"Another time? No worry" the Doctor says, Amy waves farewell to Walter and the Preacher, then she and Rory go into the TARDIS followed by {Y/N}. The Doctor and Walter do a mock quick draw, which the Doctor wins, then he goes inside and the TARDIS dematerialises. The little girl goes out of town and looks up to a distant ridge where the Gunslinger is standing guard over the town.

"By the time the Gunslinger arrived, the people of Mercy were used to the strange, the impossible. Where he came from didn't matter. As a man once said, America is a land of second chances. Do I believe the story? I don't know. My great-grandmother must have been a little girl when he arrived. But next time you're in Mercy, ask someone why they don't have a Marshal or Sheriff or policeman there. We've got our own arrangement, they'll say, then they'll smile like they got a secret. Like they've got their own special angel watching out for them. Their very own angel who fell from the stars."

---

Hello, all just want to says that there is going to be a THIRD book to finish the rest of the 11th Doctor up... sooo, look out for that... that's all I wanted to say...

~Bread 🍞