Turn Left Pt. 5

"It feeds off time, by changing time. By making someone's life take a different turn, like er, meetings never made, children never born, a life never loved. But with you, it's.."

"But I never did anything important."

"Yeah, you did. One day that thing made you turn right instead of left."

"When was that?"

"Oh, you wouldn't remember. It was the most ordinary day in the world. But by turning right, you never met the Doctor and {Y/N}, and the whole world just changed around you."

"Can you get rid of it?"

"No, I can't even touch it. It seems to be in a state of flux."

"What does that mean?"

"I don't know. It's the sort of thing the Doctor and {Y/N} would say."

"You liar! You told me I was special. But it's not me, it's this thing. I'm just a host!"

"No, there's more than that. The readings are strange. It's, it's like reality's just bending round you."

"Because of this thing!"

"No, no! We're getting separate readings from you. And they've always been there, since the day you were born."

"This is not relevant to the mission" Magambo says.

"I thought it was just the Doctor and {Y/N} we needed, but it's the three of you. The Doctor, {Y/N} and Donna Noble, together, to stop the stars from going out."

"Why? What can I do? Turn it off, please."

"Captain."

"Power down" the women walks over to Donna.

"It's still there, though. What can I do to get rid of it?"

"You're going to travel in time" a while later Donna is wearing a jacket with lots of wires all over it "the TARDIS has tracked down the moment of intervention. Monday the twenty fifth, one minute past ten in the morning. Your car was on Little Sutton Street leading to the Ealing Road, but you turned right heading towards Griffin's Parade. You need to turn left. That's the most important thing. You've got to go back, turn left. Have you got that, Donna? One minute past ten, make yourself turn left, heading for the Chiswick Highroad."

"Keep the jacket on at all times. It's insulation against temporal feedback. This will correspond to local time wherever you land" Magambo says, a scientist puts a high-tech watch on Donna's wrist. Captain Magambo holds out a glass of water "this is to combat dehydration" Donna is escorted back to the mirrors.

"This is where we leave you."

"I don't want to see that thing on my back."

"No, the mirrors are just incidental. They bounce chronon energy back into the centre which we control and decide the destination."

"It's a time machine."

"If you could?" Donna takes her place in the middle.

"Powering up."

"How do you know it's going to work?"

"Hmm? Oh yeah, we, we don't. We're just, we're just guessing."

"Oh, brilliant."

"Just remember, when you get to the junction, change the car's direction by one minute past ten."

"How do I do that?"

"It's up to you."

"Well, I just have to run up to myself and have a good argument."

"I'd like to see that!"

"Activate lodestone."

"Good luck."

"I'm ready."

"One minute past ten."

"Because I understand now. You said I was going to die, but you mean this whole world is going to blink out of existence. But that's not dying, because a better world takes its place. The Doctor and {Y/N}'s world. And I'm still alive. That's right, isn't it? I don't die. If I change things, I don't die. That's that's right, isn't it?"

"I'm sorry."

"But I can't die. I've got a future. With the Doctor and {Y/N}. You told me!"

"Activate!" sparks fly along the power cables running to the TARDIS, and Donna dematerialises.

*Time skip*

Donna is on her hands and knees outside a cafe. She rejoices briefly.

"But hold on. But this is. I'm not. This is Sutton Court. I'm half a mile away. I'm half a mile away!" the chronometer says 9:57.

"Four minutes? Oh, my God" she starts running. Donna has run out of breath, and it is 9:59.

"I'm not going to get there."

"You're going to die" Donna sees a van coming towards her. It has just passed the junction the car is waiting at.

"Please" Donna steps out in front of the van. The driver stands on the brakes. A woman screams. The driver gets out and waves at the taxi behind.

"Hold on! Back up!"

"Oi, get a move on."

"Tell them this. Two words" the blonde whispers in dying Donna's ear.

"I'm going left. Left. Left" Donna screams. Key events rewind, then the beetle drops from her back "what the hell is that?"

"You were so strong. What are you? What will you be? What will you be?" the fortune teller runs out the back of the tent. The Doctor enters and {Y/N} enter, {Y/N} has a hat on... a really weird one at that.

"Everything all right?" the Doctor asks.

"Oh, God" Donna says, {Y/N} furrows her eyebrows.

"Oh, sorry" {Y/N} takes the hat off of her head and throws it away Donna hugs the Doctor and {Y/N}.

"What was that for?" {Y/N} asks.

"I don't know" later, the Doctor is prodding the dead beetle with a stick, {Y/N} sits in the middle "I can't remember. It's slipping away. You know like when you try and think of a dream and it just sort of goes."

"Just got lucky, this thing. It's one of the Trickster's Brigade. Changes a life in tiny little ways. Most times, the universe just compensates around it, but with you? Great big parallel world" {Y/N} says.

"Hold on. You two said parallel worlds are sealed off."

"They are. But you had one created around you. Funny thing is, seems to be happening a lot to you" the Doctor says.

"How do you mean?"

"Well, The Library and then this" {Y/N} says.

"Just goes with the job, I suppose."

"Sometimes we think there's way too much coincidence around you, Donna. We met you once, then we met your grandfather, then we met you again. In the whole wide universe, we met you for a second time. It's like something's binding us together" {Y/N} smiles.

"Don't be so daft. I'm nothing special."

"Yes, you are. You're brilliant" the Doctor says, {Y/N} nodding in agreement.

"They thought you were brilliant."

"She said that."

"Who did?"

"That woman. I can't remember."

"Well, she never existed now" {Y/N} says, picking the beetle up.

"No, but she said the stars. She said the stars are going out" {Y/N} and the Doctor look at her.

"Yeah, but that world's gone" the Doctor says.

"No, but she said it was all worlds. Every world. She said the darkness is coming even here."

"Who was she?" the Doctor asks.

"I don't know."

"What did she look like?" {Y/N} asks.

"She was blonde."

"What was her name?" the Doctor asks.

"I don't know."

"Donna, what was her name?" {Y/N} asks.

"But she told me to warn you both. She said two words."

"What two words? What were they? What did she say?" the Doctor and {Y/N} ask.

"Bad Wolf" {Y/N} drops the beetle, her and the Doctor look at each other "well, what does it mean?" the two Time Lords run outside. Every printed thing now says Bad Wolf. Even the TARDIS says Bad Wolf instead of Police Box, the Doctor and {Y/N} run inside stopping dead in their tracks, the inside is lit by red emergency lighting, and the cloister bell tolls.

"{Y/N}, Doctor, what is it? What's Bad Wolf?"

"It's the end of the universe."

---

~Bread 🍞