A Town Called Mercy Pt. 2

Isaac and Rory run across the parched waste.

"You ok?" Isaac asks.

"I'm fine, yes" Rory replies.

"Keep moving. Next time, you get to wear Jex's clothes."

---

"Can I borrow your horse, please? It's official Marshal business" the Doctor says.

"He's called Joshua. It's from the Bible. It means the Deliverer" the preacher says.

"No, he isn't. I speak horse. He's called Susan, and he wants you to respect his life choices" {Y/N} says as the Doctor gets onto the horse, {Y/N} looks up at him "good luck, love" she smiles, the Doctor nods before galloping out of town.

---

Isaac is leading Rory in front of a cliff when the rock explodes between them.

"Er, I think he's seen us," Rory says.

"This way," Isaac says.

---

"When this is all done, do you want us to take you home?" Amy asks looking at Jex.

"Thank you, but I've already given everything I have to the Kahler. My skills, energy, all that was good in me. Here, I could start afresh. I could remember myself and help people. That's all I ever wanted to do, end suffering" Jex says.

"Here" Amy puts Isaac's coat over Jex's shoulders, just as {Y/N} walks in.

"You're a mother, aren't you?" Jex asks.

"How did you know?"

"There's kindness in your eyes. And sadness, but a ferocity too."

"Life's not exactly straightforward."

"It seldom is."

"And what about you? Are you a father?"

"Yes. In a way, I suppose I am."

---

"So, we're waiting till the Doctor comes to pick us up in your ship," Isaac says.

"Yes, I know. I was there when we agreed it" Rory replies.

"Yeah, I said that more for my benefit than yours."

---

The Doctor is galloping down the road when he slows down.

"Whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa. Yes, I know we're in a hurry. I just want to check something out. Two ticks" he dismounts "there's something niggling me. Yes, yes, it could be important. Oi, don't swear" he rummages in the dust and finds the shiny power cable that connects Jex's ship to the town. Jex notices the light in the office flickering. The Doctor rides on until he reaches the source of the power covered in a tarpaulin "whoa, whoa, whoa. Yes, I wear a Stetson now" the Doctor uncovers the gleaming white egg-shaped object "yes, a good point, Susan. Where is the damage?" the Gunslinger stands on the ridge above Isaac and Rory. Meanwhile, the Doctor is trying to get into Jex's ship. His sonic screwdriver sets off an alarm then a hatch opens. The Gunslinger hears it, it powers down its gun and goes to investigate.

---

The alarm can even be heard in town.

"That's the alarm on my ship."

"Maybe the Doctor wants to get it working again?" Amy says.

"But that wasn't the plan. He's not following the plan."

"Welcome to our world" {Y/N} mutters.

---

The Doctor drops straight down into the pilot seat of Jex's ship.