The First Fight

I don't know how but I made it home. I find myself following the all too familiar trail through the trees leading to the waters edge as I smell the fresh scent of salt and sap on the breeze. I hear the waves as I begin to jog towards the sight I've missed so dearly and finally I see it. The endless horizon of ocean that appears so seamlessly framed by mountains. "I told you we'd make it back." came an unforgetable voice. "Sigurd?"

As real as it seemed my dream came to an end as reality ripped me from my desires. The sun was just beginning to rise but the trees blocked the light as I slipped from the bed. Sigurd was still asleep as I slipped on my boots and headed for the door. As happy as I was in my dream I was just as confused away from it. Of course I wish to see that place again but why was Sigurd there? He took me from my home, why would I want him to share it with me. I can't think of him as more than what he is. We are not friends. "Astrid?" Once again his voice breaks me from my thoughts. "What are you doing out here? You should tell me when you leave." "I can take care of myself. Besides I didn't want to wake you just so I could sit with my thoughts." I said honestly. "I know you can. Just let me know next time. There are more than just deer in these woods and you should be armed." I looked to him as he said that. "You would trust me to be armed?" I laughed. "Of course. You must atleast have some trust in me by now and you'll need something if you're to fight. Come on...I have your things inside."

I couldn't believe it. My weapons, the ones I used in battle, the ones my brother had forged for me. They were here. "You kept them." He handed my sword over. "They are well made. You can't carry this until you gain recognition for your skill though. For now you'll have to make use of your knives." I thought it over. "That works for me. Will I be taking on my first challenger today?" I asked as I strapped on the familiar weight of my belt and knives. "We'll see. Just be ready. If you need me I'll step in." he sounded concerned but I was ready. I had taken on men twice my size before but I was always defending other people. It's time I defend myself.

We were headed to meet Bjorn when I decided it was time. "Sigurd? The man who stopped me the other day, I want to challenge him." he stopped to look at me. "What? Why him?" he sounded concerned again. "He's an easy target. If I go near him again he's likely to start a conversation then I can defend myself since I "belong" to you." "That's a good plan I just hoped you'd start with someone smaller." he tries. "Well this will get me noticed right? You know I can do it just stay close."

It didn't take long for me to find him and it looked like Sigurd completely forgot about speaking with Bjorn. The man I was looking for was next to the blacksmiths and that's when my plan took form. I walked in "Can you replace the handle of this knife for Sigurd?" I asked the blacksmith. "Who are you?" the man asked. "His slave." "Right. I remember you. I'm surprised he can handle you after what I've heard." he sounded almost friendly. "Right, thanks." as I left I walked right infront of my target and just as I'd hoped he stopped me. "I still don't see any marks. I think it's time that changed." he said as he grabbed my arm. Before he knew what hit him I twisted from his grasp and pulled a knife from my belt. "I'd like to see you try." I taunted. People started to look as he approached me again. He grabbed my wrist giving me my chance, as I pulled him into me I head butt his jaw catching him off guard. I then punch as hard as I can hearing the sickening crack of his nose breaking. He swings at me as I dodge under his arm pulling my knife once more and slam my foot into the back of his knee. This brings him down where I can get a grip on his hair giving me perfect access to his neck where the blade of my knife soon rests. People are staring, laughing, talking, as I lean in "I will never be marked." I whisper. "I told you she was mine. Now get out of here." Sigurd now standing infront of the man looks both proud and terrifying. I remove my blade as he gets to his feet. Sigurd then leads me away as we make our way from the crowd all the while people whisper and size me up. "That was perfect. We're off to a good start and you're not going to be forgotten."

We walked into Bjorn's hall and I began to worry about how he might react. I stayed quiet as Sigurd described what happened and when he was done silence fell. "Well, I'm impressed. Your plan might just work my friend but as you work through it you know the danger will only increase." he said. "Maybe, but if she continues like this the danger will pass quickly. If you had seen what I had that day you would know she'll make it through and take her place among us." Sigurd's confidence in me fueled my belief in our plan. Did I want to be one of them though? If I make it through this I'll have my freedom. That means I'll be able to leave and this will all be behind me. Maybe then I can return home and go back to that place where the ocean meets the trees and I can finally live in peace. Belonging to no one but myself.