Chapter 24

“Hey, c’mon! Wake up!” Anna shouted, standing uncomfortably close to Tabitha’s face. She woke up and jumped a mile into the air. “What are you doing here!?”

“The mission? I told you we have to start early..” Anna said, whipping a huge black duffel bag off of the ground and throwing it onto the bed. “We’re already late, so I need you to hurry up.”

“I love you.” Lionel’s voice sent shivers down every part of her body.

“As much as I hate you, I love you more. . . “ Tabitha thought. “Uh oh..” She said, dry heaving.

“Hey, what the fuck is wron-“

Before Anna could finish asking her question, Tabitha had leaned over the edge of the bed and thrown up. “Uh, you okay there?” She asked, rubbing Tabitha’s back.

“Yeah, I got food poisoning last night.” Tabitha explained, wiping her mouth and walking slowly to the bathroom. “Nothing serious, I’ll be fine soon enough.”

“Yeah, okay. I don’t know anything about this strange disease, since I live off of packaged foods like chips and cookies. But, stay away from me, I don’t want to contract it.” Anna warned, backing up. “And hurry up, we need to go.”

Tabitha splashed water onto her face and looked into the mirror at herself. Here we go., She thought, mentally preparing herself.

“Here we go where? Where are you going? What are you planning?” Lionel said, interrupting her thoughts.

“Sorry,” She thought, as sarcastic as she could “I shouldn’t have mind linked you..I have to go.”

“Tabitha, wai-“

She splashed more water onto her face and ignored him. Although she couldn’t ‘end transmission’, she could ignore the hell out of him. It worked too, because after a while, he disconnected. Tabitha walked into her closet and threw on a pair of jeans and a shirt with Animal from The Muppets on it. She walked out to find Anna lying on her bed, with a bored look on her face.

“We can go now..” Tabitha said, annoyed. Anna got up, grabbed the duffel bag and walked outside to her car. Tabitha got in after her, and they drove off.

“Now when we get there, we have to be quiet. We’ll check our surroundings and see what we can find out..” Anna explained, looking at Tabitha whenever she could take her eyes off the road. “Here we are. Get out quietly, don’t slam the door. In fact, grab my hand.”

Tabitha reluctantly grabbed her hand and closed her eyes. Anna began murmuring under her breath. Once Tabitha started getting annoyed, they transported outside of the car into some bushes.

“WO-“

Anna covered Tabitha’s mouth, looking angrily at her. “Oops..” Tabitha whispered. Anna and Tabitha tiptoed through the bushes and walked through his backyard quietly. Anna turned around and put her finger up to her lips, furrowing her brow. She walked into the backyard and motioned to Tabitha to follow behind. She looked inside and saw that Windhill was on the phone with someone, talking in hushed tones. Anna turned to Tabitha, “He’s talking to someone on the phone. I can use a spell to hear what they’re saying, but it’s not guaranteed to work.”

“Well, we should still try it. You never know who he could be on the phone with.” Tabitha advised.

“Right,” Anna said, beginning to chant in a low murmur. She suddenly stopped. “Sh. Do you hear that?”

“Hear wha-“

“Yes, I know. No. I made sure he got there safely.” Windhill said, pacing back and forth.