ix. the golden name; justin [part 1]

* pov: third person (justin) *

===

Capture the Flag went by smoothly.

Justin could confidently say that it was a good experience for him, trying not to die while trying to steal a flag. It was fun working with the Hermes kids who were on his side, and with his own half-siblings.

... not really.

First of all, Golde was a complete and total pain in the butt. He carelessly and calmly threw insults at whoever came nearby, whether an ally or an enemy. Trinity was constantly yelling at him for it and berating him for his lack of a filter, and even Justin was trying to keep his sharp tongue under control, to no avail.

Justin didn't know what to do with him.

Golde was like a large, complicated puzzle. The largest pieces of the puzzle were his appearance and his glacial exterior, the parts people would notice the fastest. Being his brother, Justin had managed to fish out some of the smaller yet still visible pieces of the puzzle. Golde's stature would be considered an A+ by critics if he was a celebrity, and his secretiveness and enigma would be called attractive to fangirls if he were ever a huge person, but Justin, with his experience, was concerned.

Golde had definitely been starved before. And his attitude, his choice of words and his ease of insulting people with complete disregard was still extremely controlled — Golde had only been using maybe a small fraction of his rage. The two had to be linked in a way.

Justin wanted to help.

His observational skills were never wrong. He knew all of this like the back of his hand.

In short, their side won Capture the Flag. Justin cheered. His first CtF had resulted in a victory that he was proud to say he'd contributed to. He was on border patrol, managing to confuse everyone on the enemy side with simple manipulation techniques and leading allies to the correct route. Trinity assisted in the feat willingly with her knowledge of the effects of Strife Gold and its value to others.

Golde was gone through most of the game. He seemed to dissolve during vital times and only returned for sharp insults. Occasionally, they would hear high notes being sung in the wind and low notes accenting the ringing in their ears, and whenever that happened, enemies froze, their brains seemingly short-circuited.

After the victory, Justin caught Golde slumped against a tree, wearing his white headphones connected to his AM phone. For once, Justin had caught his glacial brother alone. He could've left him alone to observe, but his impulse took over his actions and he ended up startling Golde.

He'd switched his mood so quickly that Justin felt the air get colder — like his shield had immediately activated upon sensing Justin's usually discreet presence. He wondered what the Hades this boy had gone through to be so unnervingly alert enough to feel the entrance of one of the sneakiest people in camp.

Golde's two-toned eyes flickered at the speed of light. Justin noticed a small, nearly inconspicuous glimmer in both of his eyes that dimmed as quickly as it had appeared. Golde wasn't even visibly taken aback — his face sported his signature expression of sarcasm and exasperation as his eyes followed Justin's movements ever-so-cautiously.

"What is the little black raven here for?" questioned Golde, his eyebrow raised. Justin hesitated, feeling his brother's steely glare pierce through his own hard stare like an ice sword.