Chapter 29

"Hey, Lilly," Stuart said, sitting in the chair beside her. It was the third week after the incident at the mall and there was still no change.

After the second week, they'd moved her to a regular room in the pediatric ward, still with all of the equipment attached to her. They decided she was stable, if unchanged, and no longer needed the ICU.

As he had for three weeks, he held her hand and talked to her about mundane life, everyday things. It was what his life was before meeting her, the things he liked, the movies he watched, his school, even his friends. None of it mattered anymore. He told her his grades were falling, but he didn't care.

At his wits end, he dropped his head onto the bed, the top of his head touching her side. "I know you don't like me, and you're creeped out by me. Most people are, because unlike you, I am a loser, but I miss you. I've never felt this way about anyone before," he said, his tears wetting the sheet. He sat there for a long time, crying beside her.

Time passed, and it was time to go. "I'll be back after school tomorrow. I promise," he said, kissed her cheek and left with his parents. Another week passed, still with no change. The black roots were overtaking the dyed portions of her hair, giving him a hint of just how black her hair was.

"Stuart, I'm sorry son, but I think it's time to let her go," his father said, as they were driving home.

"No!"

"Son, the neurosurgeon believes her brain is too scrambled from whatever they injected her with, or maybe something else about her ability they don't understand," he said.

"That's it!" Stuart exclaimed, brightening up.

"What?" his Dad asked.

"Take me back, please," he begged.

After looking at his son for a long moment, feeling compassion for the boy, he nodded, "Alright, son."

"Lilly," Stuart began, before he was even seated. Her hand in his, he whispered, "I know you're in there. You're safe now. You can let the animals go. I promise, you're safe," he pleaded. As had been the case for four weeks, there was no change. She remained comatose.

"Lilly, I love you. Please wake up," he begged, putting his head down, as he had moments before, and crying.

"You're such a dork," he heard the faintest whisper. Looking up, she looked just as she had. He wondered if he'd just imagined it, but then he saw the moisture in her eyes. Unable to stop himself, he kissed her on the lips. It was a chaste kiss, something simple, pure. He felt her lips return the kiss, but with no strength.

"Doctor! She's alive!"

"Of course, I'm alive, doofus," she whispered, then said, a bit louder, "Get your grades up or I'll kick your ass, and you know I can," letting him know she'd heard him. She gave all she had to him, as she returned to unconsciousness, the doctor never having heard Stuart's call.

"Dad, she woke up," he declared, when his Dad decided it was time to go.

"Really?"

"She talked a little."

"Are you sure you didn't imagine what you wanted to happen?"

"She talked to me, Dad."

"Stuart, they're about to declare her brain dead."

"No, they can't!"

"It won't change her status. They won't kill her, but they also won't try to revive her, should she stop breathing or her heart stop."

"But Dad, she talked to me."

"Stuart, I spoke with the neurosurgeon while you were with her. They're convinced her mind isn't functioning, just sending current through broken pathways. In other words, her mind can't heal."