Chapter 8

"This is an informal hearing. Should I find we need to file charges, we'll have an arraignment hearing at a later time. In the meantime, I'd like to understand why we're here," the judge said, with an undertone of annoyance.

"Your honor, six months ago, witnesses observed Priscilla taking unidentified pills, and also claimed she had heroin. DFCS sent her to a rehabilitation facility, where we thought she'd overcome her problem. When released, we placed her in the home of Leonard and Sherri Bazemore, and she seemed to do well there. However, when told the Bazemore's were moving, she returned to her old ways, but this time witnesses observed her providing heroin to other children," Mrs. Rafferty told him.

"With charges of this nature, why isn't the DA or a probation officer presenting this case?" the judge asked.

"I have presented juvenile justice cases in the past, and I'm qualified to do so, your honor," she replied.

"You didn't answer my question, but I'll let it go, for the moment," he said, then looked to Lilly.

"Young lady, you don't have an attorney, as yet, and you might not need one. What do you have to say for yourself?" he asked.

"Sir, I've never done drugs. I hate them, and I'd like to have a blood test, or whatever test you want, to show I've never used them. I've never sold drugs, or given them to anyone, either. If there are people saying I gave them to someone, aren't they supposed to tell you," she said. "Your honor," she added. He smiled at the added honorific.

"Mrs. Rafferty, this child has expressed a valid request. What say you?" he asked.

"We would provide the blood and urine test, your honor, but the witnesses aren't available," she told him.

"If the witnesses aren't available, then you have no case, Mrs. Rafferty, other than the potential of using. If you had involved the DA, or a probation officer, they would have obtained any witnesses, and also performed the tests on her. With none of those items collected, they wouldn't bother to pursue such a tenuous case. In other words, the DAs office would not have wasted my time. The next time you bring a juvenile before me, make sure you have someone who understands law to present your allegations, along with all relevant witnesses and evidence," he said, then paused, looking at her for a moment.

"Do you at least have her casefile?" he asked.

"Yes, your honor," she replied, withdrawing a folder from her briefcase.

He flipped through it for only a few moments. "Mrs. Rafferty, why are you here?" he asked, and it was obvious he was angry, even if he hadn't been before.

"To present charges of drug use, possession and dealing, along with prostitution, your honor," she replied, looking nervous.

"This girl has no criminal history. None, and you've laid charges against her that if filed, could forever harm her. Within her file are innuendo and speculative statements. In addition, you've brought no evidence and no witnesses for these allegations. You failed to engage the proper officials in bringing these allegations before me. Are you incompetent, or are you operating with malice toward this child?" he asked, his face becoming flushed.

When she didn't answer, he said, his voice soft, but with the force of his will, "Are you without words?" He waited a moment longer, then said, "If I ever see you in my office, or in my courtroom again, without having gone through the DA, or a probation officer, I will charge you with contempt. Do you understand me?"

"Yes, your honor," she replied, trying to be meek.

The judge sat for a few moments, his eyes focused on Mrs. Rafferty. Then he seemed to come to some decision. "Who is your supervisor?"