[2] It's not his fault - Alaric Saltzman

Imagine: You're Alaric's niece and he's looked after you since you were 10, after your father disappeared and your mother died during childbirth. Your best friend was Damon Salvatore, and being involved with vampires ended up in you becoming one.

I was sat in my bedroom, typing away at my history essay that's due tomorrow morning, i had been putting this off for about 2 weeks, and in typical fashion i left it all to the last minute. I was typing away furiously at my laptop, not even pausing for a drink. Elena had brought me some ice cream about an hour ago, but id only managed a few spoonfuls before it had started to melt, after that i'd forgotten all about it. I was in the middle of this huge paragraph about the middle ages when i heard a knock at the door, i ignored it when i heard a whoosh and Damon was sat on the corner of my desk. "now that is the saddest excuse for a bowl of ice cream i've ever seen" he said smirking and i rolled my eyes and carried on writing until he shut the laptop lid onto my hands. "damon what the hell!" i said and he chuckled "come on Y/N, you're needed at the grill" he said and i checked my phone. "oh for-" i began when i realised i said i'd meet Stefan, Bonnie and Caroline in 2 minutes. "language" Damon said just as i was about to swear. "come on saint Damon, don't pretend you've never said the f bomb" i said and he chuckled. I was still in my pajamas so i grabbed my jeans and a shirt. "Damon, out" i said and he chuckled "nothing i haven't seen before" he said and winked before turning around and putting a hand over his eyes. "you're such a wind up merchant" i said but couldn't help but chuckle as i got changed. "Damon you said you'd be 5 minutes, i need to get to the high school" i heard Alaric shout from the bottom of the stairs. "Y/N needed help with history and you know i am an expert" he said cockily and i chuckled. "get out of her room!" i heard Ric shout which made us laugh and i opened the door. "it's fine, he's actually telling the truth for once" i said and Ric just gave Damon a glare before Damon waltzed past him smirking. "don't" i said to Ric who held his hands up. "i didn't say anything" he said "you didn't need to" i said.

We all walked out the house and into Damon's car, dropping Ric off at the high school and then Damon parked at the grill. "thanks for the lift" i said, stepping out of the car. "it's fine" he said and got out the car. "seriously, everybody already lectures me enough about spending too much time with you as it is" i said and he chuckled. "i know, i've had stefan lecture" he said and i chuckled. "was he grooming his hero hair?" i asked as we walked in and we both chuckled. "they're staring" Damon said "oh, i know" i said and he chuckled. "have fun" he said and i walked towards them and Damon went to his favourite spot, the bar. "im sorry im late, i got caught up with my history essay which is due tomorrow morning" i said as i sat down. "history" Caroline muttered under her breath. I rolled my eyes and Bonnie chuckled. "anyway, we are here to discuss the options" Caroline said "what options?" i asked "for the decade dance?" Caroline said "oh i'd forgotten about that" i said and Bonnie chuckled "you weren't on the group chat?" Stefan asked "no...well now i feel out of the loop" i said and Caroline looked slightly guilty. "don't worry, i forgot until this morning" Bonnie said and we both smiled. "anyway! i was thinking a cream theme" Caroline said and started showing photos. I soon zoned out thinking about the essay sitting on my desk. Stefan saw i was zoned out and quickly jumped in "Y/N and i will go and grab some food" Stefan said and we both stood up and walked to the bar to order. "thanks for dragging me out of that" i said and he chuckled "you looked like you wanted to be there as much as i did" he said and i smiled. "not at all?" i asked and he nodded. "how about you say we tell them we need to go? and instead i can help you with your essay?" he said and my eyes lit up. "would you?" i asked and he nodded. "that sounds great! thank you so much!" i said and he chuckled. "aren't you supposed to be spending the day with Elena?" i asked "she and Jenna went out shopping" he said and i nodded, not thinking anything of it.

We told Caroline and Bonnie that we had to go and within the hour, Stefan had helped me with my essay and i managed to finish it, with the evening left to chill. "Y/N!" i heard Alaric shout. I sighed before standing up from my desk chair and walked downstairs to the kitchen. "I don't want to be that guy, but as your legal guardian i feel the need to mention that you've had two boys in your bedroom today" he said as he poured himself a drink. I chuckled "he was helping me with my homework" i said and Ric nodded. "i just want you to be careful around them, if anything was to happen, id never forgive myself, or them" he said and i nodded, hugging him. "it'll be fine" i said and he nodded before letting me go back upstairs. "remember! it's pizza night tonight aaaaand we're watching the new episode of The Walking Dead!" he said and i laughed "can't wait!" i said and walked back upstairs. "protective Alaric, that's new" Stefan said as i walked back into the room. "don't abuse your vampire abilities!" i said and he chuckled. "so now what?" i asked and he shrugged his shoulders. "now you get out" Damon said bursting through my door. "Damon!" i said, shocked "that's no way to speak to your brother" Stefan said, standing up. "you're right, i don't speak to my brother like that" Damon said, his fists were clenched. "what's going on?" i asked confused. All of a sudden, Stefan had his hands around my neck, threatening to snap my neck. "don't move idiot" he said. I was struggling to breath. "Stefan!" i gripped at him arm around my neck. "my names not Stefan, funnily enough" he said and i was struggling to register that i'd just spent my day with a complete stranger. "He's one of Klaus's spies, he's disguised as Stefan to blend in" Damon said "now let her go!" she shouted angrily at him. "A very powerful witch gave me this body, handy" he said. Suddenly he bit into his wrist, and forced me to drink his blood. "now, i think we'd all love a new vampire around here, don't you?" he asked and Damon went to take a step forward. "i don't think so" 'Stefan' said as the pressure on my windpipe increased. "It's okay Damon" i said as i began to feel light headed. "what do you want!?" Damon snapped. "i want you to tell me where i can find Elena" he said and Damon shook his head. "no?" he asked and looked at me. "well then, i guess this is your fault" he said just as Alaric was stood behind Damon. "do something!" Ric shouted. "if you insist" the vampire said and snapped my neck. "no!" Alaric shouted and rushed over to my falling body as the vampire fled out the window. "i..." Damon was at a loss for words. He walked over to the window but the vampire was gone. "is she...?" Alaric asked, tears rolling down his face. "no, she's in transition" Damon said and Ric looked up at him. "Get out" he said through gritted teeth. "ric she's my best friend" he said "i don't care, get the hell out!" he shouted at Damon, filled with rage. Damon looked down guiltily before leaving. Ric cradled my body until i woke up.

I gasped as i sat up "what happened?" i asked and Alaric looked at me with sorrow in his eyes. "i'm so sorry Y/N, but you're in transition" he said and i was in shock. My senses were higher, i could feel it. I could hear everything from the tv downstairs to the light bulb. All of a sudden, everything came rushing back to me. "i'm...i'm a vampire" i said in shock and he nodded. "i'm so sorry Y/N, i shouldn't have brought you here" he said and i started to cry. "it wasn't your fault" i said into his shoulder. "yes it was, i dragged you into this" he said and i shook my head. "i should have noticed it wasn't Stefan" i said. "i'm going to kill him" Ric said. "it wasn't Damon's fault, he couldn't do anything" i said. I sighed as i began to feel the hunger kick in. "i hate to say this but i need some blood" i said, moving myself away from Ric. "call caroline" i said and he nodded, leaving the room. I paced before flipping over the bedside table, it smashed into pieces against the wall, smashing my mirror. I walked over to it and saw my reflection. It terrified me. I had bright red eyes, fangs and veins under my eyes.

I'm a monster.