Chapter 1- Godric's Hollow

Author’s note: Welcome to the first chapter of ‘A life worth living’. I apologise for taking so long to post this chapter. I wanted to make sure I was setting the scene exactly how I imagined it while keeping in line with Harry Potter canon as much as possible. I do apologise. Anyway, I hope you enjoy the Cullens’ first experience with the wizarding world! Happy reading!

‘A life worth living’

Chapter 1- Godric’s Hollow

6:00pm 31st of October 1981

Edward’s POV

        I was driving the Volvo towards a place unknown to me- to any of us except Emmett. While I ensured Carlisle’s Mercedes was always in view, for Emmett was directing him to some mysterious town, Alice and Jasper were trying to predict what the night would entail for us. None of us were talking, which was unusual, especially for Alice. That night was our last in England; we were due to catch a plane in four hours which would take us to Forks, Washington. After calling England our home for the past seven years, we were sad to be leaving. While we understood the necessity to move, the prospect of living in the small town of Forks was not entirely appealing for multiple reasons. Myself, Rosalie, Carlisle and Esme had lived there some eighty years ago and the experience was not what one would call relaxing due to the Quileute Tribe we encountered. Currently there was no reason to believe that things would be any different when we returned. Nevertheless, Carlisle was determined to return in case the Treaty we made with this particular tribe was not being maintained by the current generation of Quileutes.

      Even though Jasper had never been to Forks, his thoughts were filled with the many narratives we had shared with him, Alice and Emmett in preparation for our living back in Forks. This tribe, who possessed a gene that allowed them to phase into wolves the size of horses at will for the purpose of destroying us was most definitely a danger to us, so I understood Jasper’s concern. Even though we rarely spoke of it, I knew everyone in my family were wary about returning to the town. Unlike in England, Forks would provide less safety for our family. This greatly affected Jasper, who not only feels his own fear, but that of everyone else’s. In particular, he worries about Alice’s safety, almost as if Forks is like a battlefield which he was so often exposed to in his earlier human and vampire days. Perhaps he had hoped to escape the feeling.

       Alice, on the other hand, was dreading living in Forks due to it having very few designer clothing stores, or shops altogether. Compared to the heart of London, Forks would be a significant downgrade for her in the shopping department. But she too shared Jasper’s fear and was nervous what our family’s future might look like when we come in contact with the Quileute tribe. We already agreed that if she foresaw any of our destruction we would find somewhere else to live.

        As I drove, a small part of my brain remained focused on Carlisle’s car, but the other part of me was trying to fight a growing feeling of discontent and hopelessness. Whilst Alice and Jasper huddled together in the back, and knowing that Carlisle, Esme, Rose and Emmett would be doing something similar, I was the chauffeur, alone and unloved in comparison to how they were cherished. I saw it and heard it in their minds every second of my existence. Sometimes I would hunt on my own simply to avoid their devoted love for one another. Of course, I am happy for them, but after so many years of being on my own, I wished to have my own companion who I could love as much as they do. Forks, with its mere three thousand one hundred and twenty inhabitants would be another seven years of my life wasted. Nothing was waiting for us there except perhaps the Quileute Tribe. The move seemed pointless to me, but Carlisle insisted that we needed to move on before our lack of aging became suspicious in our London suburb. Forks was one of his highest priorities because he was curious to see if the current Quileute Tribe was still maintaining our secret.