[35%]

So we were all lab rats

So we were all lab rats. That's all we were.

I felt a tender touch on my arm. Newt's body heat thrummed to let me know he was there. I looked up at him. He had been cut under his left eye, a thin line of drawn blood. His chest was worse. Two slashes dragged across from his collarbone to below his shirt to where I couldn't even tell where they ended. They looked painful, only he kept a stone blank expression to show that he wasn't. He fought hard to get us out of here. He did well.

I grabbed his hand, weaving our fingers together as I pulled him away from the screens.

"Hello." My neck snapped from to where I heard the voice of a malfunctioning computer. A black screen abacus suddenly glitched to life. It showed a woman, honey slicked back hair into a loose bun. Her blue eyes were crinkled lifeless and drowned in permanent mourn. "My name is Doctor Ava Paige."

She attempted to greet us lightly, but instinctively, a deep foreign emotion broiled deep within me. It broke the barrier of hatred, and it swam deeper than disarray of cluttered memories. I was unforgiving her and I didn't know why. Slowly, we all began to gather around the monitor.

"I'm Director of Operations for World Catastrophe Killzone Department. If you're watching this that means you have successfully completed the Maze Trails. I wish I could be there to congratulate you...but circumstances seem to have prevented it."

This video was recorded in the very room we are standing in now. However everyone was still alive, but panicking doctors and children were scuttling behind her back. The yellow alarm trilled to life. They were being under attack.

"I'm sure by now you are all very confused, angry, frightened. I can only assure you. that everything that's happened to you...everything we've done to you...it was all done for a reason. You won't remember...but the sun has scorched our world."

The image changed over an array of different visuals to present us with a presentation. It started with a simmering sun.

"Billions of lives lost to fire, famine, suffering on a global scale." The world I had forgotten was nothing but inferno and ash. She was showing us everything we had forgotten. "The fallout was unimaginable."

I lowered my head into Newt's chest to avoid seeing the burned bodies flashing on the screen. Some pieces were coming back. Just fragments. I know understand why the house in my dream was buried under sand mounds. I understand why my baby sister veins were black.

"What came after was worse. We call it the Flare. A deadly virus that attacks the brain. It is violent, unpredictable...incurable." A clip reeled on, a video of a man with similar, far more vast showings of this virus. Humanity was drained from his eyes and possessed with something else. His jaw snapped like a trap, thrashing to get a bite out of the two doctors holding him down.