Chapter Forty Six

Harry and Snape sat in the basement, working on Potions. Although Draco's shop was still closed, Harry decided to get a head start on some healing Potions. Severus, of course, was working on one of his many experiments. He never seemed to get bored of them, it seemed.

Harry sprinkled in some lavender into his potion, before taking a step back. The instructions told him to let his potion sit for ten minutes, but Snape instructed him to wait eight instead. Since he trusted Snape, he set a timer on his wand for eight minutes, then stepped back and began to wait.

He watched Snape with curiosity for a few moments. The older man's brow was furrowed in concentration, his hair pulled back. Severus never wore his hair back while brewing Potions in front of the students at Hogwarts, and Harry kind of wished that he had. Surely he would have realized how attractive the other man was, at the time.

"Why did you never wear your glasses while brewing in class?" Harry questioned, gesturing towards a pair of wire rimmed glasses sitting on the table next to him. 

Snape glanced up with a small frown.

"The glasses never seemed to fit the image I wanted to appear. They seemed to go against my reputation."

Harry laughed.

"Wearing glasses ruined your image? Your image as what, the terrifying Potions master who had no weaknesses?"

Snape smirked a little, turning to face his potion once more.

"You're partially right. It's not wise to show your weaknesses, especially when you worked for the Dark Lord. I worried my bad eyesight would be used against me in attacks."

Harry shrugged.

"I never had anyone use my bad eyesight against me."

Snape rolled his eyes.

"That is because you clearly had other weaknesses. I tried to keep my weaknesses concealed. I still do."

Harry sighed.

"You don't have to, not anymore. Not in front of me, at least."

Snape arched a black eyebrow, looking unimpressed.

"I have worn my glasses around you, have I not?"

Harry grinned, and he couldn't help the warm, fuzzy feeling that spread through his chest.

He turned to face his potion when his wand began to vibrate. Had it really already been eight minutes?

He began work on his potion once more, but continued to talk to Snape.

"You should wear your glasses more often." He commented absentmindedly. "They look nice on you. They enlarge your eyes. I can see specks of color in your eyes when you wear your glasses. They're beautiful. They remind me of galaxies."

Snape's head snapped up to stare at him, but Harry didn't notice.

"I'll... I'll keep that in mind." Snape replied quietly, feeling bemused and slightly disoriented.

Harry nodded, satisfied. He continued to cut up ingredients, humming quietly as he did so.

"Do you regret coming back?" He asked suddenly. "Here, I mean?"

Snape took a deep breath, and laid down his knife.

"No." He responded. "I.... I have come to consider this place... home. As much as I try not to."

Harry frowned, thinking.

"I think I understand more why you were angry with me about the memories." Harry said. "It's like the glasses, isn't it? You consider those memories a weakness, and now everyone has seen them."