E1: First days

This is an extra chapter on Hiccup's first days away from Berk just after he left (the first time).

Published on the 7th April 2018

I would appreciate it if you would comment on any spelling or grammar mistakes as I didn't proof read this chapter because it is VERY long. (+7500 words)

-Hiccup's pov-

It crackled. Not the huge, welcoming, partying kind of crackle I am used to hearing when I sit around one of these, but a faint, alone, scared crackle: a crackle which longs to be part of something large, more impressive, but at the same time doesn't. But then again, all huge ones, all powerful ones, all impressive ones must start small; small just like this one. Its light danced across my face, sending warmth crashing into me every few seconds, relieving me from the attacking, harsh night. I don't know how long I was sat there for, possibly hours, but it felt like seconds. I wasn't bored, or scared, or worried: I was just alone. I sat thinking about what had made me do it, but that took a long time because everything made me do it. From my cruel childhood, to my new found friendship and allegiance with the enemy, to how my fellows treated me, to how much was expected of me, and to how much people forced me to do things which I didn't want to do. On Berk, I wasn't free to make my own decisions, my voice wasn't heard, and I was used more of something to release your anger on than an actual human. An actual viking. An actual Berkian. But I am not that anymore, and I will never be that again. I put out the fire.

Toothless was already asleep, hanging upside down from a sturdy branch of a tree, his wings wrapped around him in a bat-like-fashion. To avoid being squashed by an over-grown lizard when he jumps down, I slept a few metres away, on the cool grass. I was starting to wish that I hadn't put out the fire, but if I didn't want the Berkians to find me, I had to do it. I wished that I had bought supplies with me, but how could I have done that when I left without planning it first? I wished I had asked Gothi about medical plants or something - my side was burning up and my clothes were sticking to the wound, which hurt whenever I tried to prise my clothes off it. I hadn't looked at it fully. I don't especially like bloody wounds, especially when they are on me. If that stupid Monstrous Nightmare hadn't have burned me, then maybe I could have shown the Berkians what dragons were really like - how they can be gentle, helpful and enjoyable - but I doubt they would listen. And anyway, maybe only Toothless was a friendly dragon. Yes that Monstrous Nightmare had looked tame and calm, but that was before it tried to roast me alive. If I don't find something to heal or disinfect this wound soon, who knows what will happen? It is still bleeding a little, but the majority of the blood flow has stopped, which is lucky. Maybe it'll leave a scar? But that will just be another to add to my collection.

It was hard to grasp at sleep that night, the events still playing in my head like a film. Maybe they would send a search party out for me? But why waste your precious time and boats on a measly, worthless runt who (to them) is probably dead anyway? Maybe Astrid would. Maybe, she would be at the front of the head boat, calling my name and searching for me. And then when she did find me, she would hug me and tell me that she is so happy that I am okay and she is never going to leave me again. But, I should stop dreaming and wake up to reality. Reality shows me that I am freezing, severely injured and will be hungry in the morning with no food or clean water. I hate reality.

XxXxXxXxXxXx

I did eventually get to sleep, but it was a rough one. Full of nightmares. And when I woke up, my speculation turned out to be correct: I was hungry. Toothless was still asleep, probably because he had been in a fight and then had to fly for almost 10 hours straight, so I trudged over to the sea and waded into waist-high water. If I went in any further, the waves would crash into my wound and I can't imagine how much that'd hurt. Rolling up my sleeves, I scanned the water for a sign of a fish. I had learnt to fish like this from a young age, given that I was not strong enough to haul up fishing nets, but I always placed the fish back into the water before it started to drown in the air. But this time, I wouldn't be able to do that. This time, I would have to murder the fish.