Chapter 4

"What are you even smiling at?" Nate asked. I shrugged and slid my phone into my pocket. "Now now, is Ace receiving dirty messages from a Mister Landon..?" he grinned at me. "OW OW." he howled.

"Nate!" I laughed "No! Landon's not like that!"

"Well, that little smirk on your face tells a different story!" I shook my head at him, chuckling.

"Where are we going anyway, Nate?" 

"You're an impatient little bugger, aren't you?" 

"I am not impatient! And what's a bugger anyway?"

"I dunno, some British swear or something."

"So I'm a British bug?" I said cracking up. Nate beamed at me.

"Yup." he said simply. 

~~~

We drove for another two hours, driving by everything from suburbs to the rolling fields of Misourri, and Nate still hadn't told me where we were going.

"Are we going... to a shopping center?" I guessed. He shook his head. "Alright. Are we going to some kind of convention?" He gave me a sideways glance and smiled. "Oh no no no no no! Get me outta this car!" I yelled

"It's not a convention, Ace. Chill for a second, will you?" he rested one of his hands on mine. I looked up at him and raised my eyebrow. He coughed and quickly took it away.

Yet, my stomach twisted into knots when he lay his hand on mine.

~~~

"We're going to St. Louis?!" I exclaimed as soon as I saw the city skyline. He smiled and nodded excitedly.

"I know you've always wanted to go.. so here we are!" I beamed. Not only have I not been out of the state, I haven't been out of the county. 

"Nate, you're the best!" I leaned over and kissed him on the cheek out of pure bliss. His face went to a whole different shade of red.

"You're very welcome, Ace." 

~~~

"Oh my god! NATE! That's The Arch!" I shouted. Even though I was a Missouri native, I've never actually seen it up close, and it looked amazing.

"Mhm, wanna take the elevator to the top?" he challenged. He knew about all of my phobias, spiders, clowns and especially heights. But, it was my first time in the city! I couldn't turn down this opportunity... or challenge.

"Without a doubt." I replied. He stared hard at me for a minute.

"What?" I shrugged.

"Nothing. You're getting balls all of a sudden, though." My eyes widened and I punched his arm. "Ow, alright alright let me go buy our tickets."

He was back in under 10 minutes and we had to wait to ride the elevator. Every second that ticked by was agony, and the impending thought that I'd have to be in the an elevator over 20 feet above the ground(with Nate, nonetheless). The line slowly creeped forward until we were next for the ride. I took Nate's hand and squeezed it. He looked down at me and shook his brown hair out of his eyes, and smiled lightly. He leaned down and whispered softly into my ear 

"Ace, you'll be alright. You got me here, I won't let anything hurt you. I promise." The little ding of the elevator snapped us out of our little world, and we stepped in. Luckily, it was just us. There was a large group of five behind us wanting to go into the elevator by themselves, so it was just Nate and I. Immediately, the elevator jerked upwards. I grabbed Nate's hand and he laced his fingers through mine. We looked out at the city, so beautiful and modern. The elevator was keeping a slow pace as it moved up the arch, but as we started to reach the peak, it slowed even more, coming to a hault at the top of the arch. I grabbed Nate's shirt and burrowed my face in it, he ran his hand through my hair.

"Ace, it's aright. It's almost over. Shh it's okay... it's okay.." he whispered while playing with my hair. I turned my head up towards him and he looked down at me. He closed his eyes and slowly got closer to my face, closing his eyes. My eyes widened, my brain debating whether or not I stop him or let him continue on this path. Of course I want him to kiss me, I mean it's Nate. He's my best friend... but Landon.. He was inches from my face, eyes still closed, when I gave in. I closed my own eyes and let his lips crash to mine. 

__________

OOOHH SCANDALOUS. 

Nate! You dog!

But Ace! What about Landon you little slut...

This is dedicated to Dahlia, because she pushed me to finish this chapter(: I wasn't too sure many of you liked it, I mean hello? Only 65 reads?

But yeah, thanks to everyone (mainly from tumblr, none of you Wattpad users like me ahha)

Next chapter will probably be up next week, I'm being forced to go camping, AND THERE'S NO WIFI AS IT TURNS OUT.

Bye for now(:

xxxxGabbyxxxx