Chapter 31

William pressed his teeth as he gently eased Caroline down to the cave floor. Her chest heaved as she rubbed her sprained ankle while she caught her breath. William pressed his eyes as he spoke, "I'm going to look for food. Stay here and rest your ankle."

Caroline gave him a worried look, she then turned it to the steep cave side, "What if the tide comes in and I cannot climb out?"

William gave her a cold glare as he stood, "Just stay put, I'll return shortly."

She held back tears as the feeling of dread overwhelmed her. The cave entrance wasn't entirely dark, but with her ankle hurt, she couldn't manage to escape if she wanted to.

************
Byron slashed through the thick vegetation. The humidity was unbearable as him and his crew scoured the island. After hours of searching, Bryon paced as his men took a short rest. His eyes closed with anger as a huge roll of thunder rumbled across the sky, "Bloody Hell!" He turned back to his crew, "Come on lads! On your feet!"

The men quickly stood and followed their captains lead.

**************
Caroline breath shook as the cave started to fill with water from the heavy downpour, "No... Oh please no..." Her face wrenched as she stood and back away from the rising water. Her lip quivered as her back hit the caves wall. She looked up to the opening and stared to yell, "Help me! Please!"

William growled as he heard her screams. He dropped the gathered fruit besides the cave entrance and looked down, "Shut.. Up.." His expression quickly turned to shock as he noticed Caroline was shin deep in water, "Oh no.."

"William! Oh thank God! Please come down and help me out!"

William coward back as there was another roll of thunder, "I'm... I'm so sorry Caroline.. I can't.."

Her eyes screamed terror, "What! Get me out of here now!"

William paced at the entrance as the rain poured, "I'm not strong enough to get you out! I can't die.. I'm... to afraid.. I'm sorry.."

He pressed his eyes at Caroline's anger, "Bloody coward! Coward! Coowwaarrrddd!"

William sobbed as he walked away distraught and mumbling, "Please forgive me.."

**************
The rain showed no sign of easing. Byron was fearing the worst as the day lingered on. His head quickly snapped to Sam as he yelled, "Captain! Over here!"

Byron ran to Sam, his chest heaved in anger as William sat on the rocky sea shore alone, rocking back and forth, "What have I done?"

Byron roared as he jumped down in front of him, "You bastard! Where is she?!"

William grunted as Byron gave him a mean right hook, "She's dead.. I'm so sorry.."

Byron shook his head in disbelief, "No.. No! Where damn it! Tell me!"

William could barely keep his eyes open, "Cave..."

**************

Caroline hyperventilated as she struggled to keep her chin above water. She had tried to kick to stay afloat, but the pain was unbearable. Her eyes widened as as she heard Byron yelling her name, "By..." She gaged and spit the water out of her mouth. She started to cry since she couldn't open her mouth wide enough to scream. Byron's brow wrinkled as he thought he heard a faint cry.

His heart started to beat against his chest as he noticed a rocky edge that eased into the ground, "Caroline!" He turned to the direction of his men and yelled, "Sam! Down here!"