Chapter 24

When the carriage arrived, Byron made it a point to touch Caroline as she exited the carriage. She shivered as he slightly squeezed her arm and pulled her to him, "Here, let me help you."

Caroline squeezed her eyes as she felt his breath on her cheek. She turned away as he tried to kiss her. Byron stared at her with an angry glare, "What is it?"

His expression eased as tears spilled on to her cheeks, "I don't feel well. I'm going to lye down."

He slowly released her arm and watched her head into the house. Abigail watched her with sad eyes as she passed by her. Byron locked his eyes on his sister and walked to her, "Im not unfaithful to my wife."

Abigail sighed, "I didn't tell her what I saw, but that doesn't mean she couldn't feel her heart breaking."

Byron swallowed a lump in his throat as he walked away.

He hesitated before opening the bedroom door, but slightly gasped as he opened it

He hesitated before opening the bedroom door, but slightly gasped as he opened it. Caroline was slowly trying to unhook the front of her corset but was having difficulty with her eyes focusing. She gasped when the floor creaked as he entered, "Its just me."

Her mouth went dry as he kneeled down in front of her and moved her hands. Carolines chest heaved as he undid the difficult garment.

Her eyes widened as he scooped her up and carried her to the bed. When he tried to kiss her again, she turned away, "Im sorry, but I do not feel well. I just want to lye down please."

Byron never had forced himself on anyone, but her reluctance was driving him mad, "Very well. May I lay with you?"

Her lip quivered as she nodded. Byron himself was on the verge of tears, "Im sorry for what ever I did to you."

Caroline swallowed a sob and nodded. He kissed her brow and tucked her in.
Her eyes finally closed and she drifted off to sleep.

Byron felt terrible about kissing his first infatuation, but she came on to him. His guilt started to mock him, "What would you had done if you found her in the same situation?"

He growled as he answered himself, "I would kill the bastard and lock her away so it would never happen again." Of course he knew that would be ridiculous, but he couldn't stand the thought of another man touching her, and her accepting it. He would confess what he did an face the consequences, she deserved the truth. Byron sighed at his uneasiness and drifted off to sleep with Caroline curled up next to him.

When Caroline awoke, Byron was gone. She dressed and headed down to the lower level to find him. As she approached the back veranda, she heard his voice mixed Rebecca's.

She peeked out as she noticed Rebecca crying, "You said you would always care for me! What has changed?"

Byron leaned his head back as he sighed, "I am a married man!"

Rebecca slowly eased to him and stroked his cheek, "She would never know. With her blindness, we can be together again." She leaned in and kissed him again.

Byron leaned back quickly as their lips touched, "Im sorry, but no."

Both of their heads snapped to Caroline as she walked out on the porch, "Byron?"

He gulped as he was now caught twice in the same damn day, "I'm here dearest."

"Who are you speaking with?"

Rebecca glared at the younger beauty, "Hello Caroline, we met in town."

Caroline sighed, "Hello again."

Byron turned a cold face to Rebecca, "She was just leaving."

Rebecca quickly snapped an angry brow to him, "Yes, goodbye Byron."

Caroline held her breath as Rebecca strolled past her and rolled her eyes.

Byron slowly stepped to Caroline and held out his hands to her, but he stopped when she stepped away and looked him square in the eye, "I see you Byron. I see what you really are."

He was on the verge of tears, "How long have you had your sight back?"

Her lip quivered, "Long enough."

He shook his head as he tried to touch her but she stepped back again, "This was a ... I want to free you. I want a divorce."

He could feel his blood pressure rising as he proceeded the words, "No!"

She flinched at his anger and closed her eyes, "Please, do not make this more difficult than it already is. I will go back to England, and we won't see each other again."

"What if you are carrying my child? What then?"

Carolines anger finally appeared, "I will raise it myself or remarry!"

His anger boiled over, "Who would marry an uneducated woman?" He couldn't believe that he spoke such evil.

Caroline barely whispered, "You did." and quietly left.

************
What will happen next?

How can Caroline find it in her heart to forgive him?