Chapter 21

Byron sighed as he watched Caroline walk onto the main porch. He turned to his younger sister, "Abigail.."

She fluttered her eyelashes to her brother, "Why yes Byron?"

He then turned his love sick eyes back to Caroline as she approached the carriage, "Why must you dress her so..."

"Seductive? Beautiful? Voluptuous?!"

Caroline paused her walking as she heard Abigail. Byron growled at his sibling, "Yes, all of those?"

Abigail chuckled and patted his arm, "She's my little doll. I didn't have one for so long, I'm catching up for lost time."

Byron grasped Carolines dainty hand and helped her in the carriage. She cocked a questionable brow, "What were you two discussing?"

Byron growled, "Nothing.."

He eased his temper when he noticed Carolines sad expression as she looked down, "Forgive my tone, Abigail was just explaining why she dresses you.." He stopped as she looked to him with large sad eager eyes, "So.."

Abigail rolled her eyes, "What he means to say, is that he does not approve on how I dress you, but his reasons are completely impossible."

Byron scoffed to Abigail, "Impossible?! What do you mean?"

"Brother, you could dress her in rags and she would still be the talk of Charlestown. So why not dress her in style and make all other women jealous?"

He smirked to her, "Except you?"

"Of course, she is my creation. Why would I be?"

Byron chuckled to his sister but it soon eased as he noticed Caroline fanning herself and looking away with a sad expression. Abigail noticed what caught his attention and kept quiet for the remaining ride to the Drayton's social barbecue.

Byron held Caroline back as she exited the carriage, "Why were you so upset?"

Caroline looked away as she continued to fan herself, "I.."

He pulled her closer, "Go on.."

She sighed as she wrinkled her brow on the verge of tears, "Its difficult enough to be blind, but you nor your sister took in consideration of my presence while conversing on my clothing as though I wasn't present." Byron was shocked and continued to listen, "I know it may seem silly to you, but.. I wish everyday that I might be able to see for your face for only a moment. When you joke about my appearance that I have no control over, well.." Her lip quivered as she looked down to hide her tears, "It hurts.. deeply."

Byron placed his palm on her cheek and stroked a tear away with his thumb, "I am so sorry Caroline, please forgive me."

She placed her hand on top of his and turned her face to place a kiss in his open palm. He gently tucked her arm into his and slowly ushered her to the social. As Byron conversed with other gentlemen, he watched Caroline and Abigail from a distance. Caroline sat silently and nervous from the other females chattering. Abigail gently patted her leg and whispered in her ear, "I'll be only a moment."

Caroline shyly nodded and smiled as Abigail took her leave to go to the Lavatory. Byron squinted his eyes at an approaching Sylvia. As he was about to intercept, a smug Ashton Henson blocked his path, "Congratulations on your bride. She's lovely."Byron balled up his fist ready to strike. Ashton noticed his actions and stepped back, "Easy now. I was wondering, do you think she would be able to tell a difference if another man had her?" Byron slowly turned a frightening, calm , cold blooded killer look to him. Ashton smirked to his expression, "Just curious."

Byron slowly tilted his head as it popped loudly, "Touch her and it will be the end of you." Ashton held up his brandy glass in a cheers motion and watched as Byron walked to save Caroline from Sylvia.

As Caroline anxiously awaited for Abigail's return, she heard Sylvia's familiar voice, "Hello ladies. What is the subject of your conversation?"

Hanna Clark, a young woman that was just engaged giggled, "Marriage and children! Oh Sylvia! How many children would you like to have?"

Sylvia smirked, "None.."

All the other ladies gasped and scoffed. All but Caroline. Sylvia cut her eyes to the young beauty that had stolen Byron's heart, "What say you Caroline? Oh but wait.. I suppose Byron will be giving up his dreams of children since he settled for you."

The other ladies gasped again, but none came to her rescue. Caroline gathered her courage, "Why would he be giving up children? I don't understand?"

Sylvia cackled, "Did you hear her? My dear, you're useless. You are only a poor excuse of decoration. How can you take care of a baby when you can't even take care of yourself? Really? Blind and simple minded.."

Caroline couldn't believe the cruelty that Sylvia's tongue could produce. Sylvia smirk turned into a smile as she noticed Byron approaching. She could tell by his expression, he knew what she had done, "Hello Byron darling. I was telling your simple, plain wife that children are clearly out of the question. Maybe you should explain to her how silly her idea of having children is."

Byron glared at the evil witch, "If only..
I could hang you from the closest tree.. Even though nobody else would admit it, I promise you they would enjoy it."

Sylvia's smile disappeared as she glared at him. He always had a few words to stab her heart. This infuriated her, "Congratulations on your marriage, I'm sure she will make an excellent ball and chain."

Byron steeped closer and whispered a chuckle, "Did you know how your dear fiancé received his black eye?"Sylvia's eye twitched as Byron continued his taunting, "He tried to seduce my amazing, exquisite, and I dare say, well formed wife. If you disagree with me, you need your eyes examined."

Sylvia's lips twitched as she growled. Byron stepped back and eased Caroline from her seat. He turned a cold glare to the other females, "Ladies, you should be highly disappointed in yourselves. I hope one day the same protection that you bestowed upon my wife falls on you. Good bye." He slightly nodded and escorted Caroline away from their shocked faces.

*******************
Did you like the chapter?

Did  Caroline have a right to feel upset?