Chapter 3

"Rise and shine!"

Caroline jumped at the booming voice, "What?.. What time is it?" She rubbed her sleepy eyes as she slightly pouted her perfect lip.

Byron chuckled as he thought she looked adorable, "An hour before sunrise. Now off to the mess hall with you."

Caroline tried to ease out of her hammock, but she lost her balance and fell with a thud to the floor. Her anger boiled as Byron stood over her and laughed. Unfortunately, her anger turned into helplessness, then tears. He leaned down to offer his hand, but she eased herself up without his assistants.

He pursed his lips at her stubbornness, "Its not polite to refuse a gentleman when he is trying to help."

She paused with a wrinkled brow, "Funny, I have yet to see any of those on board. When you find one, please point me in their direction, so I may have a little hope of my future."

Byron balled up his fist and stomped to her. Caroline took steps back and looked away as he pressed her against the wall, "Be very careful how you speak to me. I can be a humble host, or your worst nightmare. Is that clear?"

Caroline whimpered as she nodded. He liked being this close to her, but released her so she could be on her way.

After spending two hours in the kitchen, Caroline manned the food line for the crew. Byron and his first mate Sam stood back and watched from a distance, "Pretty is she not?"

Byron smile as he continued to watch her and nodded.

The men both found her sarcasm with the crew hilarious.

Caroline rolled her eyes as the fifth man made the same remark, "I would rather be eating you.."

"Yeah? So did the other fifteen.."

The next man that undressed her with his eyes, before he could speak she yelled, "Forget it! Next!" The man scowled at her and moved down the line.

The next one tried to touch her, she pursed her lips and smacked his hand with the metal ladle. The man jumped and shook his hand to ease the pain.

Byron and Sam had pressed eyes from their laughter.

Caroline growled at the sight of their amusement. She would love to poison Byron, but knew it would be her end, more ways than one.

As she glared at them, then the next voice in line was younger, "Miss? May I have a serving please?"

Caroline snapped out of her angered daze and to the young man's handsome face, "Oh, yes of course.." She blushed as she gave the polite man a smile.

He chuckled at her innocence, "Thank you ma'am."

She looked down, "Your welcome."

The young man didn't want to move but there were plenty of hungry sailors behind him waiting. Sam cut his eyes at the scene then back the a clenched jaw Byron, "Best you end that now captain?"

Byron didn't move his gaze from the young beauty, "Aye."

Before the young sailor took his seat, Byron put his muscular arm around him, "Pretty isn't she?"

The young man stuttered, "Yes sir.."

Byron eased an evil smile across his perfect teeth, "Just know, she is off limits. Is that clear?"

The young man nervously nodded, "Of course sir."

Byron paused for a moment and then patted his prisoner, "Good lad."

Caroline quickly looked away as Byron looked towards her. She felt bad for the young man, especially since he was the only one that had showed her any respect. If Byron found that intimidating, then obviously he was no gentleman.

As the last man was served, Caroline sighed and tried to scrape what little was left for her own meal. She slightly frowned since there was none left. She
Pressed her eyes as she thought to herself, "You are not asking for food! You should not have to.. Right..?" Her eyes slowly eased open as she realized someone was standing in front of her. She looked up to Byron's face. He smirked and looked into the serving pot, "Hmm.. nothing left I see.."

Caroline stared past him, "No sir."

He was eager to hear her ask for something but knew better, "Hungry?"

She kept her stare locked as she controlled her temper, "Yes sir."

"Well.. May I please escort you to my chamber for our meal?"

She had to push the words out, "I would be delighted."

Byron laughed a low seductive laugh and offered her his arm. The crew watched as he turned to them, "Gentleman, a round of applause for our lovely server! This was her first and only appearance for your viewing pleasure!"

The crew stood and clapped as he escorted her away. Caroline was boiling mad, "Why did you do that?"

Byron laughed, "Caroline, they do not feel or see many women, let alone one as pretty you, so let's just say; I gave them all something to dream about."

Caroline closed her eyes in disgust, "They .. They.."

He bit his lip and nodded, "Oh yes, you guessed it."

She shivered then turned an angry brow to him as he closed the door.