Chapter 25

Caroline sat on the large porch as she rocked with pressed eyes. It was early morning and she was fighting nausea. She stopped her motions as she heard Byron stepped out to join her. He gently touched her brow for her temperature, "You feel feverish, are you feeling well?"

She rolled her beautiful eyes as she tilted her head away, "Yes."

He sighed his irritation away, "Are you ever going to forgive me?" He kneeled down in front of her and grasped her hands.

She looked past him in a daze, "Why does it matter what an uneducated woman thinks?" She then cut her eyes to his.

Byron growled as he pushed away. Caroline yelped and jumped as he threw the rocking chair that was next to her smashing it in the process.

Abigail came out to see the commotion, "What happened?"

Byron rubbed his mouth as he calmed down. He heaved as he turned to a silently crying Caroline. He didn't look away as he spoke, "Leave us Abigail." She silently nodded and took her leave. Caroline whimpered as he leaned over her as he placed both hands on both sides of her chair, "Why do you hate me so?"

"I.. You hurt me. I know you had women before me,  but you promised me there would be no other after me. Yet, I catch you kissing the same woman in the same day. It would be best if we end this now. "

Byron had tears ease into his eyes, "Do not do this. I do not want Rebecca. I only want you. Please believe me."

Caroline leaned and caressed his face, "Byron I still love you, but I do not trust you."

His eyes widened as he grabbed her hand, "I have not been with anyone else. I don't want anyone else. I will not release you from me. If you leave, I will find you."

She wrinkled her brow with worry, "I don't understand. I am giving you a way out.."

He pushed away to hold his temper. He heaved as he chose his words carefully, "I breathe to love you, to hold you, to kiss you, to spend rest of my life with you. If you leave, I have no reason to live. You will make me a desperate man. I don't want to go on without you."  Caroline pressed the back of her hand to her mouth to hold in her cries while placing the other on her abdomen. She thought about the baby she carried and it being fatherless. Sure, she had threatened to remarry, but she couldn't stand the thought of another man touching her. She calmed her breathing as he continued, "Even though you saw Rebecca coming on to me, you have no idea of how happy I am that you can see again. Even if it means losing you."

Caroline couldn't take it anymore. She eased from her seat and gently grasped his hand and squeezed it, "Byron?"

He turned to her with a tear soaked handsome face, "I will try, but so help me, if I catch you with some other woman.."

He didn't let her finish before pulling her into a hug, "Thank you. I love you dearly. Please know that."

She sighed and nuzzled into his jacket, "I love you too." Carolines brow wrinkled as she kept the thought of her pregnancy a secret for now. She wanted to be certain that he would be faithful to her before revealing it. If he knew, he would never let her go, even hold her against her will.

He tilted her chin up to him and pressed a kiss on her fevered brow. Byron had concern written all over his face for her health. She looked pale and exhausted from the lack of sleep from their disagreement. He wanted to kiss her badly, but wanted to respect her space. Having her around within his grasp had been torture since she rejected his affection, maybe she knew that and was trying to spare him, "Caroline?"

"Hmm?"

" Are you sure you are feeling well?"

She looked away as he studied her features, "Yes, I'm just tired is all." Her eyes eased up to his, "You look tired, husband."

He smirked at her words, "Well please come rest with me wife. These two weeks without in my bed have been Hell."

She shyly looked down as she bit her lip, "Just to rest?"

Byron stroked her cheek then the bottom of her lip, "Of course."

Byron bit his lip as Caroline eased out from behind the dressing screen

Byron bit his lip as Caroline eased out from behind the dressing screen. She tipped toed to the massive bed and eased in beside him. He let out a deep sigh as her wrapped his arm around her waist. He smiled as he inhaled the familiar scent of her hair, "Sleep well."

Caroline had already dosed off in his arms. Between the empty bed and pregnancy, it had taken its toll on her strength. Byron propped his head on his elbow as he watched her sleep. He smiled as he leaned down and placed a soft kiss on her lips without disturbing her.

**************
Did you like the chapter?

Do you believe Byron is sorry?

Is it right for Caroline to keep the pregnancy a secret?