Chapter 8

As Caroline continued to wait for the captain to return, she smiled at a young girl about the age of five. She had thick kinky golden curls and blue eyes. Carolines eyes scanned the dock but did not see her guardian anywhere. She eased down to her level, "Hello."

The little girl giggled as she blushed, "Hello."

Caroline smiled a warm smile, "Where are your parents?"

The little girl carelessly shrugged and giggled. Caroline decided to keep her here in her eyes view until someone came looking for her.

After fifteen minutes had past, an older woman that was out of breath came running up to them, "Oh thank heavens! Marie, I told you not to run off like that!" She turned a cocked eyebrow to Caroline, "Thank you my dear. What is your name so I may tell the master."

Caroline gulped her nerves down, "My name?" She cut her eyes over to the dock entrance and noticed Byron talking to a blonde overly friendly woman.

The woman turned to see where her attention was drawn away and scowled, "Oh, so you're a woman of ill repute?"

Caroline gasped, "No ma'am! I..."

The woman cut her off, "Come Marie!" The woman roughly grabbed the little girls hand and lead her away.

As Byron continued to flirt with the women, Carolines face snapped to a noise from above, "Watch out below! The line is slipping!"

Byron turned his attention to a running Caroline. His brow wrinkled as he heard something snap. There was a woman yelling, "What tha!" Then a loud boom of a heavy crate falling through the old dock.

Byron pushed through the crowd, "Caroline? Caroline?!"

Little Marie was crying as she pointed down the massive hole in the dock. Byron quickly removed his dress jacket and jumped in.

Caroline was frantically trying to swim to the waters surface, but was stuck. Her ankle was also in sever pain. Byron eased down to her as she raised her finger tips, she could feel the surface on the other side as though it was taunting her. Byron swam in front of her and rolled his eyes. He quickly took out his knife and cut part of her dress which he thought was holding her down. When he tried to pull her up she wouldn't budge. He looked at her confused and tried again. Byron then pulled himself down to the crates bottom and noticed her ankle was stuck between the dock and heavy crate. He was starting to panic. He tried to move it but it was too heavy. He kept trying but it was no use. Byron swam back up to her pain stricken face. Caroline surprised him by placing her little hand on his cheek and patted it. It was as though she was telling him, it was alright. He shook his head as her eyes drifted closed. He lightly shook her but no response. He gasped for air as he screamed from the hole. Sam was already taking his jacket off to help. The two men pressed against the massive object and it barely moved. Byron quickly moved her ankle from its prison and headed to the surface. Duncan reached down and pulled the pale beauty from the water. Byron leaned over her and pressed on her chest. The cruel woman and little Marie stood in the crowd as they prayed for a miracle. Byron's heart began to sink as he continued his chest compressions, her lips were so blue and her skin white. He gasped for joy as she stared to spit salt water from her mouth. He quickly scooped her up and carried her on board the ship to get her warm. The cruel woman looked down to Marie with tears. If it not been for the sweet young lady, they both could be dead.