Chapter | 41

Happy international women's day!

[ a l i n a ]

"Congratulations, It's a girl!"

Happy claps and laughs were heard from the fifth floor, in the accounting section. Balloons and confetti decorated the place, colored blue and white.

The cake, which was pink, was now being distributed. People were cheering with the accounting director, who was now six months along.

I stood still, in the mezzanine, watching the party silently.

"So, Caryna Skye is having a girl. Told you." Aria spoke, chugging a glass of champagne.

"I hate parties. They're simply revolting." I mumbled, my eyes fixed on Caryna, who is currently hugging the other employees.

"And babies, right?" Aria laughs, standing beside me as we watched the event.

"What?"

"You once said babies were little spoilt balls of slime." Did I, now?

The room now seemed small and tight.

"I gotta go. I need more champagne." Ariana mumbles tipsily, trying to leave, but I grabbed her arm.

"The hell are you doing?" She tries to break free from my grasp, but I don't let her.

Under all that champagne she drank, she's trying to forget something. Aria might be hard to read, but I know everything about her.

"Stop blaming yourself for the loss of your child." I mumble, and she immediately stops squirming. Her gaze shifts back to Caryna, dearly caressing her baby bump.

"It was years ago, Alina. I'm fine." She tells me, frowning. "I don't like this conversation. Besides, like I said, I need more champagne."

She strolls out of the room hurriedly, and my attention is on Caryna once again. Last week, Marcus allowed her to have her party here, since apparently her house was being remodeled. 

"This office is starting to be a freak show." I grumbled to myself; and suddenly I heard a cough.

"Ma'am? Your plane is scheduled in an hour." A voice behind me greeted, and I heard heels clicking on the floor. Olivia.

"All right. How are you feeling, Olivia?" I asked her, and she smiles.

Last week, she demanded a three day break, due to the flu she had. Well, she looks fresh now.

"All better now, thank you. Oh, to remind you, once you get back from Valencia, which I assume is the twenty third, you have a meeting with the President the next week after."

"All right. Oh, and while I'll be in Valencia, I want you to temporarily assist Marcus. He'll be needing help in my absence."

"All right, Your Grace." She smiles again. Turns out, she really was a good assistant. She never missed a deadline. Although I didn't want to acknowledge it, a small part in me wished that she wouldn't be that formal to me. She used to be my friend, anyway..