Chapter | 25

2 months later

2 months later

[ a l i n a ]

"To be fair, your Highness, the King's request seemed completely understandable." Gabriel, one of the ministers, the minister of Health actually, spoke as we walked down the hallway.

"Well, I don't. As you can see, Gabriel, I am nowhere fit to rule this country. I understand Nathan wants to back away, but I can't possibly be his replacement.
Maybe we could find someone different.. someone better."

"To be honest, Your Highness, I am failing to see why you shouldn't replace the King." He smiles, a serene aspect as he speaks. No wonder Ariana had fallen for him.

"Thank you, Gabriel. I'll think about it."

"Right. By the way, I'm sorry if I am being disrespectful, but.. may I ask you something?"

"Of course."

"I haven't heard from Ariana lately.. Perhaps, you could enlighten me about her situation?"

"Oh, she didn't tell you?"

"Tell me what, Your Highness?"

"She's not coming back here."

Gabriel opens his mouth, but closes it again. His eyes became glassy, his breathing uneven.

"She's staying there? In Gotham? She's leaving me?" He mumbles, massaging his forehead. I sigh, knowing what's about to happen. Ariana was in a relationship with Gabriel, for three years.

I was the only one to know about then, due to the fact that I walked in on them in the meeting room.

"I'm sorry, Gabriel. But you are a married man, she's not your responsibility anymore. And last time she called me, she's in a relationship."

"Relationship? With who?!"

"I don't know, ask her." I smile weakly. He bows, turning around, and leaves.

"I'll kill whoever he is.." He mutters as his shadow disappears in the dark hallway.

Sighing, I keep walking, facing the balcony doors. I open them, to be greeted by the whistling, freezing wind.

My eyes search the city, a view I wasn't really used to seeing. The capital, behind the castle's gates, seemed quiet yet lively.

Valencia is a beautiful country.. led by a chaotic government. At least for now. I'm going to keep everything under control.