Chapter | 29.5 | Bonus Chapter

[ t a l i a n a ]

[ t a l i a n a ]

My legs curled up against the carpet, a blanket covering my shoulders, as I stare at her portrait.

Her blue eyes always reminded me of that time; long ago;

When James and Diandra Vanderbilt first picked me up from St. Regis's orphanage.

I was an innocent young girl back then, whose mother was a prostitute, and whose father died, shooting himself in the skull.

Weakling. He was a weak man.

And once I stared at those Azur blue eyes of hers, Diandra Vanderbilt, the world seemed brighter. She had an accident whilst carrying a child, leaving her barren; and her dream of having children had to be buried along with her miscarried baby.

Although her husband did not want to officially adopt me. James Vanderbilt wanted to keep me hidden from the public.

I was then introduced to Adelina Vanderbilt, back then, only seven years old. I had also met Ariana, Alina's cousin, who was nine. They both were the only ones who believed I was their cousin, and everyone wanted to keep it that way;

Except me.

Once I laid eyes on Nathan Vanderbilt, I had wanted to scream. I wanted to be with him. He was so charismatic then, and always gentle with girls. I fell in love with him at that instant.

But he didn't.

I watched him grew up, turn into a strong young man, and be the leader that he is; and as he fell in love with Althea, a beautiful violinist. They'd started going out, and soon enough, they were engaged.

And me? Diandra had died in a car crash, leaving James in an unstoppable grief.

He took it out on me. Later on, the King, Alina's father, gave me one task:

To report everything Alina does. He feared for his only daughter, and I understood that. I didn't ask further questions. It broke my heart, lying to Alina. But it was for the best.

Alina was in Gotham, when Althea met the angel of Death. The assassins sent by Thalia mistakenly killed her, thinking it was Alina.

Grieving, Nathan banned Alina from stepping into Valencia, blaming Althea's death on her.

Villains were constantly after her, and the Royal Family had a hard time keeping up with it. Nathan became King afterwards.

After she died, he'd started noticing me. Time after time, he fell for me. He started getting closer to me. Things happened, and we were together.

"Liana!" A voice brought me back, as I jumped in my seat. Who could possibly disturb me at 2 am in the morning?

I opened the door, to reveal a distressed looking Marcus. "Yes?" I raise a brow, crossing my arms.

"You need to inform Nathan. It's all over the news! God, I-" He panicked, hitting his fist into the wall. "Marcus, what is it?"

"Michael. He's alive! Held hostage by the Joker. That green haired psycho wants to trade him for Alina!"

For a second, I didn't want to believe him. A part of me rejoiced, Michael was safe! But Alina isn't.

My eyes drifted towards the window, as I try to compose myself. After a few pregnant seconds, I turned towards Marcus, and the only thing I could say, in a shaky and panicked voice; was:

"Holy mother of God."

____________________

Thank you for reading!
<3

- Sophia ⚜️