Chapter | 4

A sharp scream left Alina's mouth as she woke up, her voice ringing as loud as she could.

Her eyes went wide, as she choked on her own erratic breathing.

Seventh nightmare this week. Would it ever go away? Would her past haunt her until the end?

She massaged her forehead, sweat dripping out, her body shaking.

She had expected David to come running in, but she remembered that he flew back to Valencia, last week.

She was finally alone. Free of the endless bodyguards, and useless protection. This was all she ever wanted. Yet, she couldn't help but feel an ache inside. No matter how much she tried to fight it, she still found herself lonely.

She glanced at the clock; 1:30 am.

Today was Saturday, she did not have school. Thank God. She wouldn't have survived class.

She quickly got up and wore her soft night slippers. She walked towards her door, and walked through the hallway. She only had one place in mind: the balcony.

The big glass doors slid open, and she let out a breath, examining the city once again, whom always impressed her with its dark aura.

As she leaned over the fence, she heard sirens blasting, far away, deeper in the city. As always.

"Gotham's always into trouble." She mutters, sighing.

She needed some air. And she knows, those nightmares won't leave her for a very long time.

And all thanks to the man behind her suffering.

Alina couldn't get away with the throbbing heartache she felt.

She misses her parents. She misses her cousins; Aria and Talia.

And she misses Michael, her little brother.

She couldn't avoid the homesickness. She missed everything about Valencia, that small little kingdom of hers in Europe.

The splendid gardens, the calming rivers, the horseback rides..

But what she misses the most was winter time. Snow would fall all day long, covering the whole Kingdom covered in the white, fluffy, scrunchy familiar snow.

She would give up anything to go back there again.

But if there's one thing about Alina Vanderbilt, is that she doesn't care about herself at all.

She doesn't care if she gets hurt, she wouldn't care if she's dying. In other words, she's selfless.

Because, all she felt, was that she was a burden.

A big, massive burden.

~

"Psst, hey Princess!"

Alina stared at Mrs. Pondbury, whom was busy explaining Economics. She couldn't focus on the subject, instead focused on the acnes that had been there, on the teacher's forehead, for quite a while now.

"Psssst, Your Highness."

Mrs. Pondbury was quite a peculiar teacher. Tall and slim, brown hair always knotted into messy buns, always wearing floral prints, something Alina absolutely loathes, and always seem to be wearing short, brown, dirty boots.

And. She. Always. Complained.

She needs a total makeover.

"Psssssssssst!"