The Wedding Of River Song Pt. 2

"It's not my fault. Put me back. Ow! I've fallen on my nose. Have you got wi-fi here? I'm bored already and my nose is hurting. We all have to die, Doctor, but {Y/N} more than most. You do see that, don't you? You know what the question is now. You do see that she has to die" the Doctor and {Y/N} look at each other.

*Present*

"But what was the question? Why did it mean your death?" Churchill asks.

"Suppose there was a man who knew a secret. A terrible, dangerous secret that must never be told. How would you erase that secret from the world? Destroy it forever, before it can be spoken" {Y/N} says.

"If I had to, I'd destroy the man."

"And silence would fall. All the times I've heard those words, I never realised it was my silence, my death. {Y/N} will fall. Why are we here?"

"This, this is the Senate Room."

"Why did we leave your office?" the Doctor asks.

"Well, we wanted a stroll, didn't we?"

"I think we've been running. Why do you have your revolver?" the Doctor asks.

"Well, your dangerous company, Soothsayers" there is a single tally mark on the Doctor and {Y/N}'s arms.

"Yes. I think we are" {Y/N} says.

"Resume your story."

*Flashback*

"Doctor, {Y/N}, please, open my hatch. I've got an awful headache. Which to be honest means more than it used to. It's like some terrible weight pressing down on my..." the Doctor has put Dorium's box down upside down.

"Oh. I see."

"Why Lake Silencio? Why Utah?" the Doctor asks.

"It's a still point in time. Makes it easier to create a fixed point. And her death is a fixed point, Doctor. You can't let her run away from this."

"We've been running all our lives. Why should I stop?" {Y/N} asks.

"Because now you know what's at stake. Why your life must end" Dorium replies.

"Not today," the Doctor says.

"What's the point in delaying {Y/N}? How long have you delayed her already, Doctor?" the Doctor makes a telephone call.

"We've been knocking about. A bit of a farewell tour. Things to do, people to see. There's always more. I could invent a new colour, save the Dodo, join the Beatles" {Y/N} says shrugging.

"Hello, it's me. Get him. Tell him, we're going out and it's all on me, except for the money and driving."

"I've got a time machine, Dorium. It's all still going on. For me, it never stops. Liz the First is still waiting in a glade to elope. I could help Rose Tyler with her homework. I could go on all of Jack's stag parties in one night."

"Time catches up with us all, {Y/N}."

"Well, it has never laid a glove on me!"

"Hello?" the Doctor asks into the phone.

"Doctor, I'm so sorry. We didn't know how to contact you. I'm afraid Brigadier Lethbridge Stewart passed away a few months ago. Doctor?"

"Yes. Yes, I..."

"It was very peaceful. He talked a lot about you and {Y/N} if that's any comfort. Always made us pour two extra brandy's in case you both came round one of these days."

"Doctor? What's wrong?" Dorium asks, the Doctor looks at {Y/N}.

"Nothing. Nothing. It's just...." he puts the phone down and takes the TARDIS blue envelopes from {Y/N}'s pocket 'It's time. It's time."

*Time skip*

"Surely you could deliver the messages yourselves?"

"It would involve crossing our time streams. Best not" {Y/N} says.

"According to our files, this is the end for you. Your final journey. We'll deliver your messages. You can depend on us. Go spend the rest with the Doctor while you can."

"Thank you."

"{Y/N}, whatever you think of the Teselecta, we are champions of law and order just as you and the Doctor have always been. Is there nothing else we can do?"

*Present*

"Why would you do this?" Churchill asks "of all the things you've told me, this I find hardest to believe. Why would you invite your friends to see your death?"

"I had to die. I didn't have to die alone" {Y/N} says "Amy and Rory. The last Centurion and the girl who waited. However dark it got, I'd turn around, and there they'd be. If it's time to go, remember what you're leaving. Remember the best. My friends have always been the best of me."

"And did you tell them this was going to happen?"

"It would help if you didn't keep asking questions," the Doctor says, there are three tally marks on his and {Y/N}'s arms now.

"We don't have much time" {Y/N} says.

"And this woman you spoke of. Did you invite her?"

"Yes, she was there. River Song came twice" {Y/N} says.

*Lakeside*

"Napoleon gave us this bottle. Well, I say gave. Threw. Salud" {Y/N} says.

"Salud."

"So, when are we going to 1969?" Rory asks.

"Everything was in place. I only had to do one more thing. I only had to die" {Y/N} waves at Delaware by his pickup, and River sees the Impossible Astronaut.

"Oh, my God" River says.

"You all need to stay back. Whatever happens now, you do not interfere" {Y/N} says.

"That's an astronaut. That's an Apollo astronaut in the lake" Rory says, {Y/N} goes to the astronaut, who is now the adult River, not the child Melody as before.

"Well, then. Here we are at last" {Y/N} says.

"I can't stop it. The suit's in control" River says.

"You're not supposed to. This has to happen" {Y/N} replies.

"Run."

"I did run. Running brought me here."

"I'm trying to fight it, but I can't. It's too strong."

"I know. It's ok. This is where I die. This is a fixed point. This must happen. This always happens. Don't worry. You won't even remember this. Look over there" {Y/N} says.

"That's me. How can I be there?"

"That's you from the future, serving time for a murder you probably can't remember. My murder."

"Why would you do that? Make me watch?"

"So that you know this is inevitable. And you are forgiven. Always and completely forgiven."

"Please, my love, please, please just run!"

"I can't."

"Time can be rewritten."

"Don't you dare. Goodbye, River" {Y/N} winks, then shuts her eyes. The astronaut suit zaps her multiple times but she doesn't die this time.

"Hello, Sweetie."

"What have you done?"

"Well, I think I just drained my weapon systems."

"But this is fixed. This is a fixed point in time."

"Fixed points can be rewritten."

"No, they can't. Of course, they can't. Who told you that?" everything dissolves into white.

---

~Bread 🍞