Chapter Forty-Seven

The song is to set the mood! It's also one of my favourites ❤

Levi's POV

She holds my hand tight as she cries out in pain, her body tightening up.
"Okay, (Y/n), I'm going to feel inside of you and let you know when I feel a head, okay?"
She nods quickly, not able to form words.
I run my hand over her head, brushing hair out of her face. Her forehead is damp and warm.
I watch as Hanji disappears, hearing her mumble to herself as she examines (Y/n).
"I don't feel anything yet, so you have some time. We'll get you covered up while Erwin's cleaning team does their job."
Hanji holds her hands in front of her, the white gloves on her hands stained with blood. She grabs a white sheet from across the room, covering up (Y/n)'s legs and torso.
The nervous recruits shuffle into the room, mops, buckets, and towels in hand. They quickly clean the mess, a couple of them hiding their suddenly pale faces as they dip out of the room.
She removes a dripping wet sheet, spots of blood on the white fabric. It is removed by the last of the cleaning crew.
When they leave Hanji removes the sheet, and begins examining her again.
I meet Erwin's anxious gaze. He gives me a reassuring smile, but it doesn't touch his eyes.
"I feel a head. The baby has made its way to your cervix. As soon as it enters the vaginal cavity, you will need to push. Levi, make sure and hold her hand tight. She'll need your support."
I nod, feeling her fingers tighten around my hand. She looks scared.
"You're so strong, darling. You're so brave." I tell her. "You can do this."
She doesn't say anything, but tears slip down her cheeks. I don't know if it's from pain, or emotions, but I wrap my arm around her shoulders, holding her close. I kiss her forehead, before resting my nose against her temple.
"I love you." I remind her.
"I love you, too." Her voice comes out like a whimper.
Her words are immediately followed by a series of continuous cries and screams. Tears stream down her face, her hand squeezing mine so tight I feel like my fingers are about to snap.
I feel pain, hearing her scream in agony, and helpless, knowing I can't do anything about it.
"Oh my God!" She screams. "I need to push! I need to push!"
Hanji appears to be examining her.
"Hanji, I'm pushing! I have to push! IT'S MAKING ME PUSH!"
"Push, (Y/n)."
Her cries of pain are constant, breathy screams starting after a few seconds. Her body tenses up, and she pushes.
"You're doing good, honey! Keep pushing. The baby is coming."
Hearing Hanji's words, I feel more scared and anxious than I was before.
Her hand around mine tightens and suddenly I hear a snap. I let out a groan.
"Hanji, is she supposed to be able to break fingers?"
"Did she just break yours?"
Her finger are still tight around mine and I let out a small yelp. "I think so." My words can hardly be heard above (Y/n)'s agonizing screams of pain.
"Just hold tight, Levi. Give her your other hand."
I know I've experienced worse. This is mild compared to my past injuries. I grit my teeth and bear it.
"There's a head, (Y/n). You're so close!" Hanji says encouragingly.
She continues to push as hard as she can, her face a deep red.
"He's out!" Hanji cries.
He?
"Congratulations, you have a little boy!"
She uses a pair of scissors to cut the umbilical cord, and they clamp shut, staying at the end of it, attached to him.
Her body relaxes and she peers down at he trembling purplish human. Hanji wraps him up in a thin, soft towel.
"Erwin, help clean him off, and then get him on her chest. Cover him up. It'll keep him warm." Hanji instructs.
She hands the little guy to Erwin. He begins to let out little high pitched wails.
"My... My little boy..." (Y/n) cries, tears flooding down her cheeks worse than before. Her body trembles.
Erwin places the little guy on her bare chest, using the towel to gently clean him. I feel a sense of awe and disbelief overcome me as I peer down at the guy. Thick, matted, black hair covers his head. (Y/n) helps to wipe him off before he's covered up and a little hat is put on his head.
In a matter of seconds he calms, though he still cries a little. It's like magic.
"(Y/n), there's still one more to go. I'll need you to push again. This one is ready to see you, too."
"Okay..." She whimpers.
"Levi, take the little one and hold him close to your bare chest." I do as instructed, unbutton my shirt, and holding him close. I hold him gently, like he's the most precious thing in the whole world. He's so fragile, I'm afraid to hurt him.
His little body feels hot against my skin.
(Y/n) begins to scream again, her body tensing up and trembling harder than it was before.
"I need to feel and see where it is." Hanji says.
"OW! WHAT ARE YOU DOING?!" She shouts.
I peer down and see Hanji's entire arm inside of her. It makes my head feels light.
"Can I push? I need to push!"
"Yes, you can push."
"Oh, GOD!"
She pants heavily, pushing with all her might. The loud screams from before, continue.
She grasps onto the side of the bed so hard, the skin stretched over her knuckles begins to turn white.
"You're doing good. Keep going." I tell her.
"It's almost out. Don't stop!" Hanji cheers. "Big push, big push, big push. It's right there. You're doing so good, honey."
"You're so strong. You're doing so well. Keep going, darling."
"One big push."
She doesn't stop pushing. Finally, Hanji lifts another little purple human up, cutting the umbilical cord for it as well.
"We have a little girl." Hanji announces.
"Levi... We have a girl." She looks at me, her eyes red and glistening. The girl is brought over and put on her chest. Just like with the little boy, she helps clean her off and wraps her up, holding her close. Both of the little ones still cry.
I peer over at her, tears suddenly filling my eyes.
"I think that's the hardest thing I've ever done." She breathes.
"Even harder than training?" Erwin says humorously.
"I'd rather do suicides all day than do this again."
"I'm surprised, but you don't have any tearing. That means you'll heal very quickly! But your vagina will be swollen for a while."
"God, I'm so glad that's over." She sighs.
"You still have to birth the placenta. Sorry to burst your bubble." Hanji tells her.
"It's not over? Of course." She groans.
"It'll be bigger than a normal placenta, since it was holding two babies instead of one, but it'll be easier than actually giving birth." Hanji comes over. "I'll need to take their temperature, weight, and measurements. As well as record the time so I'm going to need to take them for a few minutes. Levi, I'll need your help." Hanji says. "Have you two thought of any names?"
"I thought of a few, but I thought I had more time to run them by you." I tell (Y/n).
"What are they?"
"Kuchel, for a girl."
"Kuchel?"
"That was my mother's name." I say, the image of her face appearing in my mind. More tears stream down my cheeks. Today has just been such an emotional day.
"I love it, Levi." She tells me. I see her smile. "Do you have one for a boy?"
"No, I never thought that far ahead."
"I was thinking we could call him Hajime. After my dad."
"That sounds wonderful." I tell her.
"Alright, so Hajime and Kuchel. I assume Ackerman will be the last name?"
"Yes." She says.
"Kuchel and Hajime Ackerman. Beautiful." Hanji smiles.