Chapter Thirty-Nine

Quick AN~ I will be using content directly from the manga here. The lines will not be the same, though, but similar. Prepare for spoilers. I know that this would actually happen in a few years, based on the fact that I'm loosely following the timeline from the manga, but I don't got time for that.

Levi's POV
A month later

Today is the day that we're leaving to go on an expedition outside of the walls.
We will be keeping Eren towards the centre of the formation to keep him safe. Today, our lives will be dedicated to keeping the last, best hope of humanity alive.
We get on our horses, crowds gathering as we ride towards Trost district. Some cheer, especially children, who's eyes sparkle with yearning.
I see (Y/n) in the crowd, her cheeks glistening as she waves.
"I'll see you tonight!" I hear her call.
We ride out to Wall Maria, exiting out of Shiganshina district.
We get in formation, everyone in sync. We're in line 5, center, on standby, protecting Eren.
We watch the walls disappear far behind us.
Petra, Oluo, Gunner, and Jinn assist me in protecting Eren, along with the different squads all around us.
It isn't very long before we hear the sound of explosions going off.
"Captain! Green signals from the right!" Jinn shouts.
"Change course! Gravitate to the left!"
I pull my grenade gun out of the pocket of my cloak, sliding a green canister into the barrel. I raise the gun, plugging my ear at the same time. I pull the trigger, the smoke shooting high into the sky. Everyone behind follows suit.
We change direction.
More time goes on and we switch directions several times.
Another green signal goes off. We change course. A few moments later, we see black.
My eyes widen.
"Captain! That was black! We have an emergency!" Oluo's voice is tinged with fear.
"Stay in formation!" I command. "We need to protect Yaeger whatever the cost."
We shoot off black signals, showing the others of the emergency, passing the message down the line. It could be a deviant, or an abnormal. Or it could be the remaining member of that spot in the formation requesting backup. Whatever it is we'll face it if it reaches us.
A distraught rider comes up to my side.
"Captain Levi!" I look over at the man.
"What is it, cadet?"
"Line 7 has been destroyed. Armin's line has been almost entirely wiped out. Only him, Reiner, Jean, and Sasha are left. They are the ones that set off the black signal. They spotted an intelligent female Titan. It's controlled by a human. And it's headed this way for Eren!"
"Who told you this?" I demand.
"Armin Arlert, sir!"
"How tall was she?"
"Approximately 30 meters!"
That kid is smart enough that I know he knows what he's talking about.
"Relay the message to the lines on the left." I tell the man.
"What a mess," I mutter. "A Titan has already penetrated the formation that deep."
A few minutes later a messenger from ahead meets us.
"Captain! I have a message!" He calls. "Commander Smith said that the center line is to follow him into the treeline. Follow the paved path!"  "Relay that message down the line." I instruct.
We reach the treeline and Yeager grows restless.
"We're in the forest, Sir! There's no way for us to detect an enemy!" He cries. "And I think I saw something approaching from the right! How are we supposed to avoid Titans and protect the carts under these circumstances?"
"Stop stating the obvious in that obnoxious voice, already." I say, annoyed by his whining. "It's very clear why we can't do that."
"B-but, how come-" He begins.
"Take a good look around you." I interrupt him. "These huge ass trees are perfect for maximizing the use of the three dimensional maneuver gear. Now do me a favor. Put that dumb head of yours to good use, and start using your brain, if you don't want to die."
He silences, his eyes wide. He seems to be deep in thought.
"Don't look at me like that, you dipshit." I hear Oluo mutter.
After a few moments a loud thumping can be heard in the distance.
"What's... What's that sound?" Eren says, sounding afraid. "It's right behind us!"
"It sounds like it's coming from the right!" Jinn mutters, clearly alarmed.
"Get your blades ready." I tell them, knowing exactly what it is. I pull my blades out, preparing. "Something is coming."
The thumping gets louder, the ground beneath us beginning to shake. It's the female Titan's footsteps. She's running after us.
It sounds like she's right behind us.
"Oh shit!" Gunner yells. "There's no way we can avoid it!"
"It's so fast!" Jinn sounds like he's disbelieved. "It's going to catch up to us!"
"Corporal!" Petra yells. "Let's switch to ODM gear!"
I peer behind us, seeing recruits from the squad behind us using three dimensional maneuver to fight the Titan. They fly through the trees.
"The squad behind us is backing us up!" Petra cries.
I watch in horror as they attach their hooks into the female Titan, just to have her squash them between her body and the trees around her, leaving large bloody messes.
We all stare for a moment, shocked. Then they look to me.
"Give us the order, corporal!" Petra yells.
"She's really dangerous! We have to fight her!" Oluo adds.
"I will turn her into mince meat." Jinn growls.
I pull my grenade gun out.
"Corporal Revaille! Please, give us the order!" Oluo pleads.
"Plug your ears." I say, loading a grenade into the barrel.
I shoot off the sound grenade, the sound echoing off the trees.
"What's your mission again? To let your emotions get the best of you? Those weren't your orders. They were to try your damnest to make sure this piss poor brat doesn't get a single scratch on him. Even if it costs us our lives." I tell them.
Everyone is quiet.
"Now we will be advancing on our horses. Is that clear?"
"Roger that, Sir!" They reply.
"On horses?" Yaeger protests. "How long are we supposed to keep this up?! She's catching up! She'll reach us soon!"
I peer over my shoulder, seeing more recruits attempting to stop the monster.
"Another squad! We can help them if we try now!" Eren cries.
"Eren, keep your focus!" Gunner demands.