Chapter Twelve

Your Point of View

I really think I love this man. Despite his grumpiness, I wouldn't change anything about him.

He reaches up to my head, pulling something out of my hair. I watch him drop a blade of grass, before pulling another out of my hair. Then we go inside. Hanji is waiting for us in my room. She peers at us, shaking her head.

"Sorry, Hanji. I fell asleep outside." I say.

"Why were you outside?"

"She couldn't sleep last night so she went out to get fresh air." Levi says as I open my mouth to speak. "She grew tired, sat to rest, and fell asleep. Do not question her further."

"Okay." Hanji mutters. "Well, you're free to go. You don't have to stay in this room any longer. This morning I came in to tell you that your tests are clear and your infection is gone. But so were you, so the news had to wait."

"I can go?" I feel excitement, knowing a new experience is about to begin- the experience of joining the Survey Corps. But I also feel slightly disappointed. I won't have an excuse to conversate with Hanji for hours at a time, or hang out alone with Levi.

I peer over at Hanji. Her gaze is on the floor. She adjusts her glasses, shifting from one foot to the other.
I walk over, wrapping my arms around her.

"Thank you for taking care of me." I tell her. She hugs me tightly back.

"It is my duty. Though, I enjoyed spending time with you during your recovery. If you have any other issues, feel free to return. I'd be happy to help."

"Of course." I release her and turn to Captain Levi. I walk over, embracing him tightly as well. He hesitates, sharply inhaling. Though he eventually melts, hugging me back.
He quickly pulls away.

"Okay, (Y/n). Time for you to go to your room. I will escort you. Follow me." He says, using his commanding tone.

I bid Hanji adieux and follow closely behind Levi as we walk through the long, dark corridors of the castle.

As we pass a group of noisy recruits, I hear him mutter "Tch."

After he shows me the way, I invite him to stay and play cards with me again. He seems hesitant at first, but then he agrees.

He sits cross-legged across from me on the deep oak floor. He peers over at me, watching intently as I shuffle the deck. A few cards fall from my hands and he picks them up, placing them in my hand.

I continue to shuffle the deck.
Whenever I played card games, my brother would shuffle the cards. My clumsy hands can't seem to figure it out. Thankfully Levi takes notices. He simply offers his hand out to me. I sigh in defeat, placing the pile in his palm. He immediately and gracefully mixes the cards together, before dealing them out.

His long, slender fingers work quickly, setting cards in two piles. Then he sets the remainder of the deck in the middle.

We both pick up our little stack, observing each other while we remove our matches.

"You have an 8, don't you?" He says, a hint of teasing in his usual bored tone. I slide the card out of my hand.

"How did you know?"

His eyes flick up above my head, before returning to his hand. I turn around, seeing a reflection in the big vanity mirror on my dresser. I sigh in disdain, swiveling my body away from the mirror. "Cheater." I mutter.

"It's not cheating if it's wide open." He responds simply.  I roll my eyes, grinning.

His turn rolls around again. His eyes meet mine. "Give me your ace." His voice is low, alluring.

I peer down at my deck, seeing an ace of spades. I nibble my bottom lip before I meet his gaze. "I don't have one."

"You're lying." He says. "It's the third card from the left."

I intentionally look to the opposite side, which would be my left, though I know he means his.

"Captain, you must be mistaken. There is no ace." I say innocently.

"You have an ace. Now hand it over."
"Captain were you cheating again? Because you're not doing a very good job." I crack a grin.

"I knew it." He mutters. Then he reaches his hand out, giving me an expectant look. I sigh, pulling the card out of my hand. He grabs it, placing it with his match and setting it aside.

When we finish our game, we are called down for breakfast.

I peer down at the thin white gown. Levi takes notice as well.

"Your uniform is on your bed. I will wait outside for you." He gets up, crossing the room, hesitating at the door, his hand hovering over the knob. He peers back at me, a dark glint in his eyes. "Don't make me wait too long."

He exits the room swiftly, closing the door behind him. A chill crawls up my spine. I don't know whether my sigh is in relief or pleasure.

I quickly undress, pulling on the white shirt and black pants. I sort through the small black bag on the dresser and find my bottle of perfume. I spray some on my neck before I go out to Levi.

I follow him to the dining room.

"Stay close." He mutters, just loud enough for me to hear. I nod once, closing in a portion of the remaining space between us.

Eyes are on eyes from every area of the room. The room falls silent, aside from hushed whispers.

"...Why is she so close to the Captain..." I hear someone mutter.

Levi grabs my arm, pulling me along.