Closing Time Pt. 4

"George!" the Doctor shouts, closely followed by {Y/N}, they find the torch, then George.

"George..." {Y/N} says, a Cyberman knocks them out. A little later Craig is standing above them.

"Doctor! {Y/N}! Guys! What happened?" Craig asks.

"Oh, we've been, we've been chipped, chapped, chopped. The Cyberman. It killed George, took him back to the ship" {Y/N} says.

"The Cybermen are here? But you said..." Craig trails off.

"Yeah, we know what we said. We say a lot of things. But we fused the teleport. It should have taken them days to repair" {Y/N} says.

"Are you ok?"

"Oh, we should be dead, but the arm it chopped us with, it was damaged. Old spare parts. Must have changed those missing people" the Doctor says.

"They've changed the missing into Cybermen? Why didn't they change you two?"

"A long story. We're not exactly compatible. But why are they using spare parts? Why? Everything we find out makes less sense" {Y/N} says.

"{Y/N}, Doctor, listen to me. If the Cybermen are here, then we're not safe. We've got to go. We've got to go back to base."

"We've got a base? When did we get a base?" the Doctor asks.

*Time skip*

The Doctor is mixing something up in a bowl in Craig's kitchen, {Y/N} sits across from him.

"I'm going down the shop. We've run out of milk. You know what to do if he cries" Craig throws a mobile phone to {Y/N} and leaves.

"No," the Doctor says.

"Me neither!" Craig replies, Alfie cries.

"Oh, I got this, you keep doing that" {Y/N} says getting up, she walks into Alfie's room, "Hello, Stormageddon. It's {Y/N}. Here to help. Shush" she picks up a small bunny rabbit toy and waves it in front of Alfie "hey. There, there. Be quiet. Go to sleep. Really. Stop crying. You've got a lot to look forward to, you know. A normal human life on Earth. Mortgage repayments, the nine to five, a persistent nagging sense of spiritual emptiness. Save the tears for later, boy-o. Oh, no. That was crabby. No, that was old. But I am old, Stormy. I am so old. So, near the end" {Y/N} says "but, you, Alfie Owens" she picks him up "you are so young, aren't you? And, you know, right now, everything's ahead of you. You could be anything. Yes, I know. You could walk among the stars. They don't actually look like that, you know. They are rather more impressive" {Y/N} sonics up a holographic starscape "yeah. You know, when I was little like you, I dreamt of the stars. I think it's fair to say in the language of your age, that I lived my dream, I owned the stage, gave it a hundred and ten percent. I hope you have as much fun as I did, Alfie" the Doctor stands in the doorway a small smile on his face "your dad's trying his best, you know. Yes, I know it's not his fault he doesn't have mammary glands. No, neither do I. Alfie, why is there a sinister beeping coming from behind me?" {Y/N} turns to see the Cybermat it gnashes its teeth at the Doctor.

"Oh, no you don't" the Doctor sonics it.

"Come on, Alfie. Run! It's only stunned" {Y/N} says, "It's going to be okay. Good Alfie. Yes. Don't worry about anything. We're going to go outside" the Doctor drops his screwdriver as he goes through the patio doors "really?" {Y/N} mutters.

"Oops" the Doctor replies.

"I'm back!" Craig yells as he puts his phone down on the hall table. It starts to buzz.

"Come on, Craig, pick up, pick up, pick up, pick up!" the Doctor says.

"Doctor? {Y/N}?" Craig goes into the kitchen, puts the milk in the fridge and the Cybermat leaps for his throat. Craig grabs it and manages to hold it off. Craig's phone has gone to answerphone.

"Craig? Don't worry. Alfie is fine. But on no account, enter the house."

"{Y/N}! Doctor!"

"No, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no!"

"Help me!" {Y/N} puts Alfie in his baby bouncer as the Doctor crashes through the glass door.

"Where's Alfie?! Where's Alfie?!"

"He's safe. He's safe!" {Y/N} says running in.

"Get it off me!"

"I just have to find the right frequency, shut it down again!" the Doctor says.

"Kill it!"

"All right, all right, all right! Move!" {Y/N} hits the Cybermat with a large pan. It leaps onto her.

"Argh! Baking tray. Baking tray!" she shouts, Craig gets the tray and they get the Cybermat onto the floor under it.

"Hold it down!" the Doctor says.

"Get on with it!"

"Ah, it must be shielded from metastatic energy. Of course," the Doctor says.

"Of course."

"Don't worry, I have an app for that. Stand back. Stand back!" {Y/N} zaps the Cybermat "success. That was amazing. You must be really, really strong. That thing should have had you easily."

"Is it definitely dead?"

"Inactive, yes. Technically never been alive. It was playing possum before, to take us by surprise. Bravo" the Doctor says.

"Phew. Alfie!" Craig runs outside to get Alfie.

*Time skip*

Craig is walking up and down with Alfie while {Y/N} takes the Cybermat apart, the Doctor is in the kitchen making tea.

"I'm knackered. That thing was eating up the electricity?" Craig asks.

"And transmitting it up to the Cybership. But why? Why do they need power? Why are those conversions not complete yet, and what are they doing up there?" {Y/N} asks.

"You said you were going to look at its brain."

"No, I had to wipe its brain. Now I can reprogram it and use it as a weapon against them" {Y/N} says.

"The Cybermat came after us?"

"No, after us" {Y/N} says guesting between herself and the Doctor.

"They sent it after us," Craig says.

"After us. Because of us two, you and Alfie nearly died. Do you still feel safe with us, Craig?"

"You two can't help who your mates are."

"No. We are stupid, selfish people. Always have been. We should have made you go. We should never have come here" {Y/N} says.

"What would have happened if you two hadn't come? Who else knows about the Cybermen and teleports?"

"We put people in danger" {Y/N} says.

"Stop beating yourself up. If it weren't for you two, this whole planet would be an absolute ruin."

"Craig, very soon I won't be here. My time is running out. I don't mean Exedor. Silence will fall when the question is asked. Don't even know what the question is. I always knew I'd die still asking. Thing is, Craig, it's tomorrow. Can't put it off anymore. Tomorrow is the day I..." {Y/N} trails off, Craig and Alfie are asleep on the sofa, she smiles softly, the Doctor enters handing her a cup of tea "ah, thank you" {Y/N} mutters, the Doctor places his hand on hers.

---

~Bread 🍞