CH 11: Goodbyes

CHAPTER ELEVEN

~ Branson ~

These past two weeks have been nothing but smooth sailing and love making, but today's the day: We're traveling to Washington State for our first game of the season.

Kiondra and I spent last night together and reality has finally set in. I'll barely see her for the next 6 months and I don't wanna let her go.

After making love one last time this morning and driving in our respective cars, we drive to work both having company meetings then I'll have a chance to say goodbye.

Walking into the player's conference room, the atmosphere is as cold and glum as the October weather setting in. Everyone, including Troy, looks sad. But it's probably because he's leaving his momma who does his laundry. It's the same every year.

Kev has tears running down his cheeks and I know it's because he's leaving Isis. There's no doubt he's in love with her.

Most of our team is single, but we thrive off of each other's energy which make the painful goodbyes even tougher.

Seeing Kev openly cry and show emotion prompts me to evaluate my thoughts about Kiondra since we have about ten minutes before the meeting starts.

I love her, I really do, but I just can't bring myself to tell her. Plus I've let out so many details of my life that could potentially make her leave me. Or resent me for not telling her everything.

But I'm sure she hasn't told me everything either!

So why should I be the only one vulnerable in this relationship?

Becoming slightly angry at the dilemma slowly arising, I try to take my mind off of Kiondra. Thankfully our coach Robert walks to the podium and gets our attention.

"Good morning everyone"

We reply with a slew a groggy and weak 'good mornings'.

"Today is the day that we head out to Washington to face those damn Warriors. They knocked us out of the playoffs last year so it's our turn to show them not to fuck around this us!"

Robert has always been a passionate coach and is known to have quite a temper towards other teams. He's been suspended from his position numerous times for threatening players and fighting other coaches. It's wrong, but you don't know how hilarious it is until you see it.

"You guys have got to get your head in the game; we are going to win this year and be the ultimate and undisputed champions! Are you with me?"

By the end of the speech, everyone is pretty hyped except Kev. He's still pretty bummed. However, he's not one to let his emotions dictate his playing, he's just an emotional guy.

"Go say your goodbyes and be outside ready to board the bus so we can get to the jet on time."

That's another thing I love about our hockey club: a private jet. We always travel in style it's like a home away from home since we spend so much time in it.

My teammates and I quickly get up to meet our loved ones and say goodbye. Cancellations and injuries really influence our schedule but if everything goes as planned, I'll be home to visit in less than a month.

Walking as fast as I can I see Kiondra sitting at her desk with five empty coffee containers and another one in her hand.

She's always been beautiful without makeup, but today she just seems sad and exhausted. The dark circles under her eyes indicate that no matter how close I held her last night, she still didn't sleep. When her body is against mine, I sleep like the dead.