The God Complex Pt. 4

Amy stops at a crossroads in the hallway.

"Amy? What are you doing?" the Doctor asks.

"He is beautiful," Amy says.

"Leave her! Just leave her!" Gibbis says, {Y/N} Doctor grabs Amy and half-carries her away into a room where little Amelia is sitting on her suitcase, looking out of the window. Rory tries to hold the door shut as the Minotaur pounds on it. Amy drops to her knees.

"{Y/N}, Doctor, it's happening. It's changing me. It's changing my thoughts" Amy sobs.

"We can't save you from this. There's nothing we can do to stop this" {Y/N} says kneeling next to Amy.

"What?"

"We stole your childhood and now we've led you by the hand to your death. But the worst thing is, we knew. We knew this would happen. This is what always happens" {Y/N} says, the Minotaur bursts in "forget your faith in us. We took you with us because we were vain. Because er wanted to be adored. Look at you. Glorious Pond, the girl who waited for us. We're not heroes. We really are just a madman and woman in a box. And it's time we saw each other as we really are" {Y/N} places a kiss on Amy's forehead, the Minotaur staggers backwards "Amy Williams, it's time to stop waiting" the Minotaur collapses in the hallway. {Y/N} goes to it as the lights flicker.

"I severed the food supply, sacrificing their faith in me. I gave you the space to die. Shush, shush" {Y/N} whispers as the hotel dissolves into a hologrid.

"What is it, a minotaur or an alien? Or an alien minotaur? That's not a question I thought I'd be asking this morning" Amy says,

"It's both, actually. Yeah. Here we go" the Doctor reads a holographic database.

"Distant cousin of the Nimon. They descend on planets and set themselves up as gods to be worshipped. Which is fine, until the inhabitants get all secular and advanced enough to build bonkers prisons" the Doctor says.

"Correction. Prisons in space" Rory says, he and Gibbis are looking down through a porthole.

"Where are the guards?" Amy asks.

"No need for any. It's all automated. It drifts through space, snatching people with belief systems and converts their faith into food for the creature" {Y/N} says.

"See that planet there?" Gibbis says.

"Which one?" Rory asks.

"There. The grey one there."

"Mmm hmm."

"That's where I'm from."

"It didn't want just me, so you two must believe in some god or someone, or they'd have shown you the door too. So, what do Time Lords pray to?" Amy asks.

"According to the in-flight recorder, the programme developed glitches. It got stuck on the same setting, the fears from the people before us weren't tidied away" {Y/N} says, the Minotaur growls.

"What's it saying?" Amy asks.

"An ancient creature, drenched in the blood of the innocent, drifting in space through an endless, shifting maze. For such a creature...death would be a gift..." {Y/N} crouches down beside it and takes his large hand "... and accepted" {Y/N} smiles "then sleep well" {Y/N} gets up the Minotaur gurgles softly "I wasn't talking about myself" the Minotaur dies, {Y/N} and the Doctor look at each other.

"Could I have a lift? Just to the nearest galaxy would do" Gibbis says.

*Time skip*

The TARDIS materialises on a leafy suburban street, with a row of terraced houses opposite a small park. One of them has a well-preserved E-type Jaguar parked outside.

"Don't tell me. This isn't Earth, that isn't a real house. And inside lives a goblin, who feeds on indecision" Amy says.

"No. Real Earth, real house, real door keys," the Doctor says, throwing a set of keys to Amy.

"You're not serious?" Amy says.

"The car too? But, that's my favourite car. How did you know that was my favourite car?" Rory asks.

"You showed me a picture of it once and said this is my favourite car" {Y/N} says.

"Rory, can you give us two minutes? Two minutes?" Amy says.

"She'll say that we can't accept it because it's too extravagant and we'll always feel a crippling sense of obligation. It's a risk I'm willing to take" Rory says.

"Hey" the Doctor and {Y/N} lean against the long red bonnet with Amy.

"So. You're both leaving, aren't you?"

"You haven't seen the last of us. Bad Penny is our middle name. Seriously, the looks we get when we fill in a form, it's..." Amy cuts the Doctor off.

"Why now?"

"Because you're still breathing."

"Well, I think this is about the washing up, personally" Amy replies.

"We mean, you're right, there's still heaps of stuff out there to look at. Do you know, there's a planet whose name literally translates as Volatile Circus? Or maybe there's a bigger, scarier adventure waiting for you in there" {Y/N} says pointing to the house.

"Even so, it can't happen like this. After everything we've been through, Doctor and {Y/N}. Everything. You both can't just drop me off at my house and say goodbye like we've shared a cab."

"And what's the alternative? Us standing over your grave? Over your broken body? Over Rory's body?" the Doctor asks, Amy leans in and hugs them both for a moment before pulling away.

"If you bump into my daughter, tell her to visit her old mum sometime," Amy says, the Doctor and {Y/N} chuckle.

"And look after him" {Y/N} says.

"Look after each other. Bye" {Y/N} and the Doctor go into the TARDIS, and it dematerialises. Rory comes out of the house with champagne and glasses.

"What happened? What are they doing?"

"They're saving us" the two Time Lords stand at the console of the TARDIS looking at their feet, {Y/N} lets out a long sigh running her hand down her face.

---

~Bread 🍞