Chapter 9 - I'm holding a heart, here in my hand

Beginne am Anfang

Louis’ shoulder shook as he gripped onto Harry for dear life and Harry simply held him tighter. 

“Don’t cry baby,” he whispered. 

Louis laughed, “They’re happy tears.”

Harry swiped at his own eyes as he looked down at Louis wrapped in his lap, no time had passed. Louis was the same small, outspoken boy he met on their first day of bootcamp. Harry saw that same, fragile boy now, at the same time Louis had grown to be so much more. “I love you, forever.” Harry whispered and Louis sat up.

He wiped his own eyes and answered Harry’s profession with a passionate kiss, “I love you to the moon and back.”

Harry put his large hands on Louis warm face, his fingers holding Louis as if he were a delicate flower. He met Louis blue eyes with a smile, “Infinity.”

Louis smiled as Harry wiped his tears, “I’m sorry, I’m such a mess.”

“Never be sorry,” Harry smiled. “I think we needed that.”

Louis nodded and kissed Harry’s nose, “When we go out there,” He sighed. 

“What?” Harry frowned. 

“It won’t just be us anymore,” Louis pointed to the door as he fumbled for his shirt. “It’ll be them and with them comes-“

Harry laughed handing Louis his shirt, “Drama.”

Louis nodded, “Porter’s cheating on Dakota.”

“Oh,” Harry frowned, “Shit.”

Harry loved Dakota like a sister, he was protective over her despite their differences when they first met. She had made a lot of mistakes but he would be a complete hypocrite if he judged her for them. After all he had made just as many mistakes, he looked at her like he looked at himself… a work in progress. Though she loved him like a brother she also looked at him as her protection, her safety. He didn’t mind, he took that in his stride and they often had secret conversations in the middle of the night. Conversations about love and death, about friends and the past. 

Dakota understood what he went through, more than any of the boys would. She also took him to visit Logan, she kept his secrets and he loved her for that. 

She helped plan the engagement, she visited him every day that he was away without anyone knowing. He couldn’t stand the idea of any of the boys seeing him in such a bad way, yet Dakota was someone he trusted. She kept his secrets, just like she kept his heart until he was mended for Louis, for them all. 

He shook his head as he gazed at Louis, “She’s a good person.”

Louis laughed, “So they say.”

“No really,” Harry replied, “She’s done a lot for us.”

At that Louis laughed, a disgusted sound and frowned. “You really are drunk.”

“Why won’t you let her in?” Harry asked, curious and sad that Louis wouldn’t let go of the past. Harry knew she had done a lot of things to hurt them both but she had hurt Louis time and time again. Louis was stubborn and it was one of the many reasons Harry loved him.

“Why?” Louis rolled his eyes. “Where do I start.”

“She just wants to be loved,” Harry replied as he climbed up off the beanbag and began to do his pants up.

Louis shook his head, “Another topic for another lifetime, perhaps.”

Harry rolled his eyes as he closed the distance between them and pulled Louis into his arms, “What say we get another drink.”

Louis chuckled as he went on his tiptoes to kiss Harry’s soft lips, “We’ll need them if we’re to face the boys, it’s game on between Niall and Porter.”

“You think Niall has something for Dakota?” Harry asked. He knew damn well Dakota was in love with Niall, she had told him one visit when Harry asked about Niall. 

“He’s not sleeping or eating," Dakota sighed as she fidgeted with the crisps on the table. “He won’t talk to me, he won’t talk to anyone… I don’t know what to do!”

Harry looked at her, he studied her face and smiled, “He’ll be okay.”

She didn’t meet his eyes, she chewed her bottom lip, deep in concentration. “He’s not coping, after…” She trailed off to look at him. “After Logan he’s just fallen apart.”

Harry sighed and ran a hand through his unruly hair, “I am as much to blame.”

She shook her head and squeezed his hand, “No, sweetie… it’s not your fault.”

He smiled, “You and I both know I put Niall through hell and back.”

“He loves you,” She smiled. 

“You love him,” He replied. 

She tried to drop his hand but he held it tight. “I…” Her face went bright red. She shook her head, “No-“

“Your secrets safe with me,” He whispered as he kissed her on the cheek. 

“Time’s up!” The Guard called and Harry stood up to hug Dakota, tightly. 

She buried her face in his shoulder, “I miss you so much.”

“I’ll be home soon,” He replied sweetly as he let her go and began following the rest of the patients back to the dormitory. 

“I love you Harry,” She called, waving at the table. 

He smiled and blew her a kiss, “I love you too,” He mumbled under his breath. 

Louis squeezed Harry’s hand and broke him from his reverie, “Niall wouldn’t be stupid enough to fall in love with a grenade like, Dakota.”

Harry smiled, “Maybe you’re right.”

“Or maybe?” Louis asked as he lingered at the door.

“Or maybe he’s as stupid as you,” Harry chuckled. 

“Me?” Louis frowned. 

“You fell in love with me didn’t you?” 

Louis kissed him, passionately, “I did and it was the best risk I ever took.”