Night Terrors Pt. 3

"Look, will you two stop? What is he? What is George? And how could I forget that Claire can't have kids? How?" Alex asks as they walk along a corridor.

"Perception filter. Some kind of hugely powerful perception filter. Convinced you and Claire, everyone. Made you change your memories. Now, what could do that?" {Y/N} asks.

"Just a mirror" Alex says, they move on. A while later the Doctor picks up a lantern.

"So, Claire can't have kids and something responded to that. Responded to that need. What could do that?" the Doctor asks.

"I thought you two were the experts, fighting monsters all day long. You tell me" Alex says.

"Oi! Listen, mush. Old eyes, remember? We've been around the block a few times. More than a few. They've knocked down the blocks we've been round and re-built them as bigger blocks. Superblocks. And we've been round them as well. We can't remember everything" the Doctor says, Alex hears the noise of the lift.

"Doctor, {Y/N}," Alex says.

"It's like trying to remember the name of someone you met at a party when you were two" {Y/N} says.

"Doctor, {Y/N}, the lift."

"And we can't just plump for Brian like we normally do," the Doctor says.

"Doctor, {Y/N}, listen!"

"Shush. What's that?" {Y/N} asks.

"It's the lift. It's the sound that the lift makes. George is scared stiff of it" the electric lights in the bulbs on the candelabra go out one by one.

*Time skip*

The candelabra is lighting up and going out again.

"Five times," Alex says.

"What?" the Doctor asks.

"The lights. It's happening five times. It's like one of George's habits. We have to switch the lights on and off five times."

"Now you're getting it."

"What do you mean?"

"What do you tell George to do, Alex, with everything that scares him?" the Doctor asks.

"Well, put it in the cupboard."

"Exactly. And George isn't just an ordinary little boy, we know that now, so anything scary he puts in here. Scary toys, like the dolls' house. Scary noises, like, like the lift. Even his little rituals have become part of it. A psychic repository for all his fears, but what is he?" {Y/N} asks, suddenly a doll enters.

"Oh, my God," Alex says, the Doctor tries to sonic her "a gun? You've got a gun?"

"It's not a gun. Wood! I've got to invent a setting for wood. It's embarrassing" the Doctor mumbles as he finds a pair of giant pinking shears and prods the doll back to make their escape.

"Come on" {Y/N} says.

"Don't run away. We just want to play."

*Time skip*

"Massive psychic field, perfect perception filter, and that need. That need of Claire's to, to. Stupid Doctor. Ow" Alex uses the shears to fend off the doll.

"George is a Tenza" {Y/N} says.

"Of course, he is" the Doctor responds.

"He's a what?" Alex asks as more dolls are approaching from all directions.

"A cuckoo. A cuckoo in the nest. A Tenza. He's a Tenza. Millions of them hatch in space and then whoomph, off they drift, looking for a nest. The Tenza young can sense exactly what their foster parents want and then they assimilate perfectly" {Y/N} says.