Chapter Sixteen: Iron Sisters

Skye sat on the floor of her room in the Institute, she covered her face with her hands and whispered a few words under her breath. She couldn't cry, especially not now....not when everything was nothing but chaotic. She had to deal with Clary and her crazy wish to bring back her mother once in for all, Skye even missed the funeral unable to even leave her room after brining Clary back and leaving her to Jace to watch. She knew that she needed to get out as soon as she could or else she would go mad thinking about all of this over and over again. "Skye!" She heard Clary call her from her room, Skye stood up and left her room and into Clary's seeing Jace there holding the gray book. "Do you know anything about this rune?" She asked with a raised eyebrow.

Skye took the paper and looked at the rune. "You made this, didn't you?" She asked, Clary nodded slowly and glanced at Jace with a surprised look in her eyes.

"Y-Yes, how did you know?' Clary asked, Skye cleared her throat and tensed when there was a loud knocking on the room door. Isabelle walked inside, stopped and looked at the three siblings standing there.

"Am I interrupting? I can come back if I have to...." Isabelle said, it was weird seeing all of them here....chatting away like actual siblings.

"No, we're about done here." Jace said watching as Skye folded up the paper and placed it in her back pocket

"You two holding up okay?" Izzy asked when Jace left the room and closed the door behind them.

"I miss her a lot. And then there's Luke. He's just vanished." Clary said, Skye turned around and walked away from this conversation, she stared out the window zoning out as the two spole. She would go talk to Isabelle on her own time, away from her little sister.

"Then I guess I have to come with you. I know. But I-I can't sit here and mope. I need to do something anything to stop Valentine. He is the reason my mother is dead." Clary said, that was when Skye shook her head and looked over at them.

"I will go as well." There was nothing that would change her mind, she was going to get out of here and get the information she needs.

~

Arriving to the Iron Sisters, it was a bit crazy but it was alright so far. Skylar let Clary do all the talking and convincing since the blonde was so drained...emotionally drained she didn't have the need to even speak at all. Isabelle looped her arm around Skye as they walked together with Clary on the other side. "Sister Cleophas, how long have you been in the order?" Isabelle asked with a small smile spreading onto her lips.

"Fourteen beautiful years. I never planned on following in my mother's footsteps. I was happy living in Idris with my sister Amatis, when my brother Lucian was scratched in a werewolf attack. I did what I had to do to restore our family's honor."

"Do you mean Luke? Are you Luke's sister?" Skye asked, she never really knew Luke well like Jocelyn did or as much as Clary did as well.

"I am." She replied as they approached, this pool like thing filled with heavenly water. It looked amazing and all the girls had to go through this.

"We must begin the purity trial. What's that? For the answers you seek, we must go inside the Citadel. But we cannot allow any demonic impurities to pass. The adamas is too fragile. So, the heavenly energy in the water will help us determine if you may enter. It will destroy any contaminant upon contact."

Clary and Skye were cleared to go to the citadel but Isabelle was not. And because of that, Skye had stayed back and pinched the bridge of her nose when hearing what the iron sister had to say. "Isabelle....someone's trying to ruin you...." The iron sister took this time, to leave the two alone to speak.

"Aldertree gave it to me..." Isabelle whispered, Skye took her hand and to help her up the steps and away from the water. "Skye, he's trying to hurt me." The blonde nodded, leading her away to go get changed and away. They had to wait for Clary, this was the time to have a chat.

"I'm not okay, I haven't cried or looked Alec in the eye. I can't even be around Clary without feeling nothing but guilty. It hurts in my heart, I can feel the pain....and people keep telling me it's normal to grieve but I don't know how to grieve." Skye said honestly, she ran a hand through her blonde hair and gulped. "And I haven't been honest. Something is different about me, so different about me...and I wish I could tell you but I can't."

"Why not?"

"Because that would make you a target."