SIX

Joie sat playing with the stem of her wine glass. Thinking. Thinking about one thing. Sam.

"Earth to Joy."

The voice of Jamie broke through her cloud of thought and the noise of the bar causing her to look up.

"What has you so glum and distracted tonight?"

She didn't want to admit the truth to her friend. In fact, she wished she didn't have to tell her at all but secrets weren't keepable. Not from Jamie.

"Spill it!"

Joie sighed. "I talked to Sam on the phone last night."

Jamie's eyes flew open.

"I know exactly what you're gonna say-"

Jamie shook her head. "Well, I'm glad you do because I'm over here feeling a bit speechless."

Joie took a sip of wine. "Stop. Honestly, it was good. I'm glad I heard him out. It gave me a lot to think about."

"I hope you told him to fuck off."

Joie shook her head. "He's different now. He's changed."

Jamie laughed. "Guys like him don't change, Joy. Don't fall for his narcissistic bullshit again. I'm begging you."

"It's funny you used that word. He's been through a lot of therapy and they told him he has narcissistic tendancies. I don't know much about that though."

"Trust me, if you're dealing with a diagnosed narcisist, you need to run. The quicker the better."

Joie looked in her friend's eyes knowing her expression was that of a wounded puppy.

"Don't look at me like that. I know what your sweet heart is thinking but let me assure you, whatever sob story he layed on you was told with a specific purpose that fills his needs."

Joie slumped. "It's not like that. He was telling me the truth. I could tell."

"Oh, I'm not saying he was lying, I'm just saying he has a selfish angle. Trust me. I've done my time with several narcisists, I'm attracted to them unfortunately, but there's a reason most every person in their life gets destroyed in some way."

"Really? Not even gonna give him a chance?"

"Nope. Look, he might be a nice person. I'm not doubting that but you need to understand what you're dealing with. Do some research and educate yourself, please."

Joie sighed again then looked down at her wine. "He's had a hard life-"

"I don't doubt that either. Most narcisist have a lot of baggage and stories to tell. I'm sure it's been rough but I know you. You can't resist getting involved with damaged people."

The word 'damaged' struck her. That was one of the words Sam had used to describe the type of women he was attracted to. If Sam had a type, was it possible that Joie had a type too? As offended as she was when he said it, was she just as guilty?

"How would you describe the type of guy I'm usually attracted to?" Joie squinted and turned her head to the side.

"Do you really want me to answer that?"

Joie nodded then took another sip of wine.

Jamie blew out a long stream of air as she prepared to answer. "I mean no offense by this, okay?"

Joie nodded. "I know. I asked and I'm ready for whatever you say."

"I think you typically go for blue collar, narcissistic addicts who are in some way unavailable." She took a deep breath. "There. I said it."