How does a mute say hello, exactly?

You turned over in bed, a constant beeping invading your thoughts. Why won't that blasted noise just stop? You eyes forced themselves open as you turned over again, using the force to speed up and slam the snooze button on your alarm clock. Graced with silence once more, you felt your eyelids grow heavy again. Letting out a silent yawn, you started to relax, before turning over and smacking the alarm clock again. It hadn't gone off again, you just needed something to keep you awake. You sat up, rubbing your eyes before giving off a sigh. You stood up off your bed, slightly rocking on your feet. Shaking the wooziness our of your head, you yawned, making no noise other than the sound of a louder breath. That was the fault of a car accident you had been in years ago, back when you were about 3. The doctors said it was a miracle you were alive, with how close from shrapnel had gotten to piercing your throat, but it had only gotten your vocal cords, leaving you mute for the rest of your life. You snapped out of your thoughts and walked downstairs, where your Mom was making breakfast. That was also a normal part of life. Because your family needed money, your parents had very.... unusual work schedules. Half the week, your dad worked most hours of the ya and your Mom stayed home and home taught you, and your Dad took over the next half of the week. Hearing the sound of your quiet footsteps going down the stairs, your Mom turned around, wearing an apron and holding a pan with eggs cooking in it.

"Good morning Y/n!" She said cheerfully. (Gonna use Bold for ASL)

Good morning Mom You signed before sitting down at a seat by your table.

"You excited for your first day of actual school?" Mom asked. You nodded as a plate was placed in front of you. It had the generic smiley face with eggs and bacon. You looked at your mom and raised an eyebrow.

"What? Can I not be happy?" She said, grinning." You smiled.

I thought you were nervous like me. Your mom sighed and leaned against the counter.

"Yeah, So is your dad. Until we're sure you're going to be okay in your new school, we're going to keep our schedules, so you know." You nodded in response and started to eat.

"Your uniform is hung up in your closet?" You nodded.

"Teeth is brushed, hair is combed?" You shook your head, earning a sigh from your mom.

"Get That done after you eat. Your lunch is waiting for you in the fridge, and your bag is on the hook by the door." You nodded again in response and shoveled the rest of breakfast into your mouth. You ran upstairs up to your room and quickly, but carefully got your uniform on. Once that was done, you stepped into the bathroom and took a moment to look at yourself in the mirror while brushing your teeth. Staring into your own e/c eyes, you moved your gaze up to the hair you were told to comb. It was naturally messy, with a cowlick and multiple wisps sticking out. You took a comb and ran it through your hair, only for it to bounce back into its original position. You shrugged and spit out the toothpaste, rinsing the toothbrush and putting it away before taking another look, this time at your neck. Across it lay a large jagged scar, almost invisible unless you looked up. It wasn't much more then a jagged white line now, but it basically sliced your neck open when you first got it. You shuddered at the thought and ran downstairs, grabbing the brown paper bag labeled 'Y/n' from the fridge as your mom started washing dishes from breakfast. As you grabbed your backpack, you felt arms wrap around your neck.

"Look at you Y/n! All grown up and going to actual school!" Your Mom kissed your cheek and let go as you put on your backpack.

"Just a moment, I'll drive you to school, I'll finish dishes later. Let me get my keys." Your Mom took off her apron and pit on some tennis shoes, grabbing car keys before rushing out of the house, followed by you. You kept following and got in shotgun as your mom started the school. Looking over, you got a good look at the scar on her arm. All three members of your family had gotten an injury and a scar from the accident. Your mom had a broken arm and a large slice that turned into the scar you now saw. Your father had probably gotten the worst at the time. His leg was cut open, to the point of fat spilling out of his leg. He now had to walk with a cane, and had to wear a brace when performing physical activities, like bowling. You had (duh) the slice on your neck, and permanent muteness, or mutism. Your mom noticed you staring at her scar and ran a finger along it, driving to school.